Misty Minty Peppermint Patties

Misty Minty Peppermint Patties via Sweetapolita

Happy almost mid-November! Are you feeling festive yet? Like clockwork, when I wake up on November 1st, my enthusiasm and excitement for the holidays kicks in, while any traces of the Halloween spirit completely disappear. Along with my festive spirit comes an almost immediate urge for minty treats. It’s likely not a coincidence that this is right around that time that Starbucks brings out the holiday cups, Peppermint Hot Chocolate, and Peppermint Mocha. It seems there are two kinds of people in the world: those who live for mint-chocolate and those who don’t like it at all. It seems there’s no in between. What is it about mint confections that just make us mint-lovers so giddy, especially around the holidays?

This year, though, my need for minty treats is at an all-time high. As a little girl, around the holidays, I used to sneak up onto the counter to reach up above our “harvest gold” refrigerator into the highly-secretive cupboard that my mom and dad thought I didn’t know anything about. Strangely, in between bottles of fancy liqueurs and the like, I could always find a few boxes of Allan’s Misty Mints. I used to sneak as many as I could, then rearrange the remaining mints in the box to hide the evidence. This was tricky when there were only a few left! These magically-minty, pastel, cool-and-creamy buttons have got to be the yummiest treats on the planet. At least, they were the yummiest minty treats on the planet, until I made these: Misty Minty Peppermint Patties. I call them this because it’s what happens when the texture, pastel colour palette, and white chocolate confection of Misty Mints meets the delightfully round, sandwich-like, and creamy minty-filled combination of a peppermint patties. Delish!

I was over at one of my favourite sites the other day, Joy of Baking, when I noticed a great recipe for traditional peppermint patties. I was already looking so forward to some minty recipes for the holidays, so I decided to give them a try. I can’t say I’ve spent much time working on candy recipes, but this was so appealing, and I was inspired. Since I have such love and passion for Misty Mints, I thought it would be the ultimate sucess if I could create a sweet, pastel version that tasted just like them. So, that’s what I did, and if I do say so, they are even better than I expected. Dare I say that they are possibly the most delicious confection I have ever made? These Misty Minty Peppermint Patties are everything (and then some) that my old boyfriends never were: rich, cool, and pretty. ;)

The process was really straight-forward, which isn’t always the case with candy-making, and is why I love this recipe so much. After mixing a rich and minty patty filling, I prepared and chilled the patties, then melted my Callebaut White Chocolate Couverture in a double boiler. I feel it’s so important that you use the best white chocolate for this recipe — it’s the gorgeous creaminess of the Callebaut white chocolate combined with the decadent filling that really makes these extraordinary. And what is it about this retro colour combination that makes me so happy? I truly believe that biting into a gorgeous pastel peppermint patty tastes just that much better. You can make them any size you want, really, and serve them or package them up with a pretty ribbon and give them as stocking stuffers or hostess gifts. I have a feeling that I’m not the only one out there with fond holiday Misty Mint memories.

Here’s the recipe:

Misty Minty Peppermint Patties

For the Filling:
  • 4 cups (480 g/16 oz) icing sugar (confectioners')
  • 3 tablespoons (45 grams) unsalted butter, softened
  • 4 tablespoons (60 ml) evaporated milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL) peppermint oil (ideally food grade oil rather than extract)
  • 3/4 tsp (3.75 mL) pure vanilla extract
  • For the Coating:
  • 1 lb (454 g) best-quality white chocolate couverture, chopped
  • soft gel paste colour, optional
  • You will also need:
  • candy thermometer

Instructions

For the Filling:
  1. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and smooth. Set aside.
  2. In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine the icing sugar, butter, evaporated milk, peppermint oil and vanilla.
  3. Once ingredients are incorporated, turn mixer up to med-high, mixing for about 2 minutes, until creamy. Cover and chill filling in bowl for about 30 minutes.
  4. Once chilled enough to roll balls of filling in your hand, roll 1.5" balls and place on foiled cookie sheet. Using the palm of your hand, gently press down on each ball to create a patty. Refrigerate for another 30-60 minutes until firm and remove when you have your coating ready to go.
  5. For the Coating:
  6. In a double boiler (or bowl on top of a pot), bring water to boil. Once boiling, turn the stove off (keeping pot on element) and add your chopped chocolate. Stir with silicone spatula until nice and smooth.
  7. Remove from heat, wipe bottom of bowl, and set aside, stirring continuously while cooling. When almost cool, divide into 3 and tint each lot desired colour (I used very small amounts of gel colours: leaf green, electric pink, and electric orange). Once chocolate reaches 80-84° F on a candy thermometer, you can start dropping patties in, one at a time, coating both sides, and removing carefully with two forks (or chocolate dipping fork).
  8. Place on cookie sheet to set. Once all patties are dipped and coated, set tray aside in a cool, dry place to set. Don't refrigerate while setting.

Notes

[filling recipe adapted from Joy of Baking]

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Sweetapolita’s Notes

• You can use peppermint extract in place of the oil, but you won’t get that intense mintiness that the concentrated oil gives. It’s still very minty!
  • You can store the set patties in an airtight container in the refrigerator, with parchment or wax paper in between, for up to one month.
  • Best stored chilled, and eaten at either room temperature or chilled.

Minty delicious!

Good luck & enjoy

Comments

1. Laura Lee says

Very pretty and I love your matching green bowl too. The colours are so fresh, you could use this recipe for Easter also?

These would make an amazing hostess gift – they are soooo pretty! I’m a big fan of peppermint patties – especially ones made with premium ingredients like these. :)

Just say “mint and chocolate”, and I am sold! It’s my favourite combination. White chocolate and mint is something that I’ve never tried, but i think I will just have to do that now! I love your style! Everything you do is just perfect!

4. Mary says

ummmmmm AWESOME!!! I would like to try these delights at Christmas…wink, wink, nudge, nudge…the pics are making my mouth water! xo

I’m getting “misty” just thinking about those fabulous Allan’s Misty Mints. My Grandmother ALWAYS had them in her home and they were divine! I probably have not had a Misty Mint in over 25 years but I can still remember the way they smelled and how creamy rich they were. I’m definitely going to be making these for my family this year and start a new holiday tradition!

First time on your blog, and I just gained 20 pounds looking at your pictures and reading through the recipes. Must… subscribe… can’t… resist…

P.S. …and I can’t wait to try these!

7. Mrs. Currie says

This is the first time I have visited your blog. It is wonderful. The pictures of your peppermint patties are amazing. I read your recipe closely but have a query about one part. You said that you used gel food colouring with white confectioner’s coating. I thought that chocolate + liquid = seized chocolate. Do you know why this doesn’t happen with gel colouring? Was the gel Wilton or Americolor?
    Keep up the awe-inspiring work!

• Rosie says

Thanks so much for the sweet comments! I typically use AmeriColor or Sugarflair colours, and they work wonderfully in the white chocolate. In my experience, water, even a drop, or even any bit of moisture/steam, seizes the melted chocolate, but gel colours work nicely. Just to be safe, you should add the colours when the chocolate is neutral temperature, or at least on its way to neutral–never when it’s hot. I hope this helps, and I’m so glad you’re enjoying the blog!

Yummy! I have come across several peppermint patty recipes tonight, it really makes me want to head to the kitchen! I love your idea of using pastel colors instead of traditional chocolate or white. Thanks for sharing!

I found this through Pintrest, and let me just say “wow.” I will be trying these out very shortly!! They look/sound delicious!

I made a white chocolate peppermint patties shaped like Easter eggs for Easter! I had the idea because I had a ton of candy melts leftover from other projects. I must say that I would have prefered to use a better chocolate, but I had always thought you had a to use chocolate dyes! I’ve done it for Valentines,but only with red. Now that I know gel food coloring works without seizing the chocolate I will have to give it a try! Thanks!

11. Daphne says

Rosie, thanks so much for sharing you recipes. I just made these mints while I was whipping up a small batch of your delicious SMB (so much more delicious than that sugar-bomb buttercream I’ve been making since childhood), and they could not have been easier or faster to make. Maybe they were a little too easy (wink;). I know I’ll be making lots of these in the future. THANK YOU!!

12. Molly says

Thanks so much for the recipe! I just made these, with a few variations:

1. I could not find peppermint ‘oil’ at three stores (Whole foods, Sur la table, etc). I used McCormick Pure Peppermint Extract, and it worked perfectly.

2. I wanted to make a larger quantity of smaller candies, so I used a half tablespoon measure to form the balls of peppermint filling. I actually left them as domes with flat bottoms to look more like candies than cookies. This yielded almost 70 candies.

On my way to a cookie swap now with these beauties!

These are AMAZING!!! And I’m having to restrain myself as the batch I’ve made is for Christmas day. YUM!!!

A word to anyone making these – if you’re like me and just love peppermint, don’t be tempted to add extra peppermint oil. Just don’t. It’s not a stronger mint flavour, it’s just plain overpowering. Second batch went well…. :-)

I had to add extra confectioner sugar to mine, probably about 550gm all up. Not sure why that was, but it worked.

Did I mention how amazing these are?

Hi Summer! I just made a note in the post, but you can go ahead and use extract, but you will need more than the 1/4 teaspoon (just be careful to not add too much extra liquid to the filling). You won’t likely get the same mintiness as you would with the oil, but you the extract still gives it a great mint-factor. Hope this helps!

These look so tasty! I am a sucker for peppermint patties, so making them on my own could be a dangerous thing!! Love the pastel colors, would be perfect for Easter!

15. Andrea says

Rosie, I am so addicted to your blog! I want to try all of your recipes! I have made a few already and they are awesome. Planning to make these Misty Mint Peppermint Patties tomorrow to give away as treats for Easter, they look so gorgeous!
    Thank you so much for the inspiration in both baking & photography!!!

16. Rina says

Dear Rosi,

I need your help. My best friend asked me to make these as favors for her wedding. I went to culinary school last year and thought this would be a piece of cake. I did a practice run last night and things did not go well. The filling came out perfect. I rolled the balls into 1 1/2 inch like you suggested and flattened them into disks that came out to 2 1/4 inch accross. I got only 20 of those which would mean I would have to multiply the recipe by 8 to get 150 of these. OMG!

Then I melted the chocolate but it took me 20 minutes of stiring to get to 82 degrees. Can you imagine the situation with 8lbs of chocolate? I then seperated the chocolate into 3 bowls and tinted the chocolate 3 different colors. Everything was fine. I took the patties out of the fridge and started dipping them using my dipping forks. The first few went well but then the patties started to get really soft and fall apart and the chocolate started dropping in temperature and thickening, making it difficult to coat the patties in a way that looked appealing. In the end they looked terrible but tasted AMAZING:)))))

Do you think if I kept the 3 bowls of chocolate sitting on their double broilers that the temperatue will stay above 80 degrees and coat properly? I’m thinking if I just take out a few patties from the fridge at a time that they will stay firm enough long enough to coat without getting soft and flimsy? Do you think this is a good idea for a wedding favor? The bride wanted each individual pattie wrapped in plastic with a pretty ribbon or bow. Im thinking this is a very risky thing to do. A lot can go wrong with 8lbs of chocolate and sugar:( Yikes. Do you have any advice for me? Is there something you would do different if you were making 150 of these????

Thank you so much. THese really do taste AMAZING:)

One more thing??? What is your technique for coating the patties in chocolate?

• Rina says

It’s me again:) Do you think I could infuse peppermint oil with the chocolate during the melting process?? I’m thinking of doing mint chocolate covered oreos.

17. E says

When subsituting for the coverture, do not use plain white chocolate, because it is impractical for dipping and overwhelms the taste. Instead, try a candy coating or add a little shortening to plain white chocolate.

18. Katherine says

I will do this recipe for Easter gift. How many patties will I have with this? (sorry… my English is not too good :S)

I’m making them right now and I’m excited how they will turn out! I’m a little worried about the coating because I don’t have a candy thermometer, but I guess it just has to work ;)

20. Elizabeth says

I have been looking for the perfect recepie for mint patties and this is it! I made these with my favorite dark chocolate and they were sublime. Thank you so much for the recepie.

Trackbacks

1. […] 1. These delightfully decorated, delectably delicious, creamy concoctions are so cleverly called Misty Minty Peppermint Patties. They’re reminiscent of Thin Mints with white chocolate instead of the traditional, but the minty pink colors are what make them so much more. [sweetapolita.com] […]