Ooey Gooey Taffy Tart Squares

Buttertart Squares via Sweetapolita

Hope everyone had a great week!

It’s been a cold and rainy one where I am, but what better time for a sweet and sticky comfort food: Taffy Tart Squares (also known to some as Butter Tart Squares). My husband goes away into the wilderness this time every year with his Dad and a group of men for several days, and I always make these for them. (A crowd favourite, I’m told.)

I’ve also been baking these squares as a classic holiday treat for the past few years, because they are so loved, and because you can make them ahead of time and freeze. You can eat them as they are (delightful), or if you want to make it even more divine and turn it into a full-on dessert, you can cut a nice big square and microwave for about 20 seconds, then place on top of vanilla bean ice cream, breaking it up a bit with a spoon. With every bite you get a bit of everything: warm gooey topping, crunchy pecans, cold and creamy vanilla, and rich cookie.

Not to state the obvious, but it is heaven. They are so super easy, which is almost impossible to believe, considering their insane decadence. They are amazing freshly baked. They are amazing refrigerated. They are amazing frozen. They keep forever, seemingly, and there is quite simply no escaping their deliciousness and, well, addictive-ness. This has been my secret recipe for several years now, but I just can’t possibly keep it from you one more day.

Buttertart Squares via Sweetapolita

This is another one of the I-feel-so-authentic-when-mixing-with-a-wooden-spoon desserts. Like I’ve said before, I love my KitchenAid mixer, but, to me, desserts seem so homespun when using only a bowl and wooden spoon. These squares taste exactly like Taffy Tarts, but no fussing with flaky pastry. The crust (aside from simple to make) is almost shortbread-like, and the topping is ooey, gooey, sticky, and sweet — just the way it should be. I always add chopped pecans because they seem to hold the topping structure together and just taste so darn good. You could add raisins as well as, or instead of the pecans as it’s really personal preference. I love them without raisins, but that’s just me.

So I made a tray of these this morning and decided to write this post. When I decided to pull these out of the fridge and take photos, I thought I was being inconspicious, but I was found out. I really thought I had my little Neve fooled when I put Elmo on and set her up with an array of toys, all facing the opposite direction to my photoshoot. There was no hiding them from her. She came looking for me, she came looking for them.  She found me and, well, she found them . . .

Sweetapolita

Aww, look at that adorable little face and excited finger-point at her discovery. How could I even think she’d be capable of anything devilish? Come on, wouldn’t you trust this innocent and harmless creature with a tray full of Ooey Gooey Taffy Tart Squares at her arms’ reach?

Sweetapolita

Me neither. I think she may have inherited her mama’s sweet-tooth . . .

Ooey Gooey Taffy Tart Squares

• 6 tbsp (42 g) all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp (7 g) baking powder
  • 2 tsp (10 mL) pure vanilla extract
  • pinch salt
  • 1-1/2 cups (150 g) coarsely chopped pecans

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper. (Make sure there is an overhang of paper to allow for removing from pan after baked.)
  2. For the Base:
  3. In medium bowl, combine flour and granulated sugar, cutting in butter with pastry blender until crumbly. Press into pan and bake for 15 minutes (or until very light golden brown on edges).
  4. For the Topping:
  5. In large bowl, mix melted butter and eggs, blending in brown sugar, flour, baking powder, vanilla, and salt. Stir in pecans and pour over base.
  6. Bake for 20-25 minutes until top springs back when lightly touched. *It should not feel firm--it's really important that you don't over-bake, or they won't be "ooey gooey!"
  7. Let cool on rack, then cover and refrigerate until very firm. Using the parchment overhang, remove from baking pan and place on cutting board. Cut into squares.
  8. Keep refrigerated until about an hour before you need them, if you can (they get really gooey otherwise, which isn't necessarily a bad thing). They can also be frozen (and they really do taste delicious right out of the freezer!).
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Comments

1. Mary says

YUMMY!!! I forgot about these Rosie!!! It just might be what i need to get through reports this weekend. And oh my little Lovie…she’s so hilarious and adorable!

2. Laura Lee says

I really should set up a FedEx account between your kithen and mine. My mouth is watering.
    Another great post!

omg, just found your blog and whew, I have too many “to tries” off of looking around! YUM!!! Glad to be a new follower! Can’t wait to try (and what beautiful photography! and beautiful family!)

hugs! Kim @ Frost Me!/Party Frosting!
    party inspiration

4. LeighK says

Just came across your blog after seeing these delicious-looking bars on Foodgawker. Your blog is darling and your daughter’s are absolutely adorable! So glad I found this recipe, my mom makes these cookies especially for me every Christmas and always let’s me know how time-consuming they are. Lol. So now I can share this easy bar version with her. So thank you! :)

I love the oozing taffy. So delicious and gorgeous photos too.

I’d love for you to submit one of your beautiful photos, and a link to your post, to my new vegetarian photo gallery showcasing the best vegetarian dishes and recipes on the web.

6. Jessica says

I was wondering if I could make these without nuts? Some of my brother’s co-workers are allergic to peanuts and I’m not sure if all tree nuts are included, so I wanted to make it without pecans but wasn’t sure if it would taste as good or if it’d just be a gooey mess without the texture of the nuts.

Hi Jessica,
      I’ve yet to make it without nuts (although I think that would be great too!), but I can’t see any reason why not. I’m sorry that I can’t be more specific, but without having done it, it’s just my best guess. If you try, please let me know–I’d love to hear how it went!

7. Stéphanie says

I tried them tonight, they are DELICIOUS, definitely a keeper for my cookbook! The smell while in they are in the oven is incredible! I love your recipes!

8. Andrea says

I made these bars this past weekend and they taste amazing! I will be making these again very soon. I actually may add more pecans as they taste so yummy in these bars! Thank you for the delicious recipe!!!

9. Laura says

Hi Rosie, these are in the oven as I am writing to you. I used alonds instead of pecans, as I am allergic to walnuts and pecans. Smell is incredible. I too may be making these for my husbands annual hunting trip in the fall. Looking forward to eating them! You are so right, these are so quick and easy. Thanks so much for the recipe.

10. Jessica says

My husband LOVES these bars! I tried adding a splash of bourbon and the flavor is heavenly. They get better after sitting the fridge for a few days.

Thanks for a great recipe!!

11. Lori Ann says

I’ve been on your website for MONTHS and I keep picking things I want to make…new baby and all it just hadn’t happened…until this weekend. I made your taffy tarts for an office bake off today…proud to say my name will be immortalized on our winners wall! Thanks for such a beautiful and inspiring site…even if I cant find the time to make it all!

12. Donna says

Yum! Just made these and they taste like pecan pie – only better! Mine had to bake longer than 25 minutes though. I checked them at 20-25 mins as the recipe says, but the batter was still very liquidy. I let them go for about another 15 until the center was just slightly jiggly. These are dangerous to have around! ;)