Butterscotch Peanut Butter Marshmallow Hearts

Peanut Butter Marshmallow Hearts

Happy Wednesday, everyone! I hope you’re all having a great week. Has Valentine’s Day enamored you the way it has me this year? I just can’t get enough of it. I thought it would be fun to chat about a ridiculously yummy-yet-simple recipe. These Butterscotch Peanut Butter Marshmallow Hearts (usually “bars”) are as easy as it gets to make: 4 ingredients and 4 steps. No mixer, no bake, no candy thermometers. Does it get any better than this?

You know I’m the first girl to promote breaking out the confection-tool arsenal for highly decorated sweets, but sometimes, or possibly most times, we don’t have that much time on our hands. These highly-addictive treats (that you likely ate as a kid!) are so yummy and I love making them. The process is also super kid-friendly, which is always great around our house.

Peanut Butter Marshmallow Hearts via Sweetapolita

Although I have fond memories of this type of a treat at my school bake-sales in the 80′s, I had completely forgotten about them until Grant’s cousin, Leah, started bringing them to the family cottage. I couldn’t believe how addictive they were, truly. I know everyone says that about their favourite desserts, but I promise (and possibly warn) you that these are so much so, that I informed Leah that I would include them in my “what I would eat if I could only have one last meal” menu, and I meant it. I’m pretty certain that there is a highly scientific reaction that occurs between the peanut butter and butterscotch chips, that results in a flavour that humans are not meant to resist. Now, you do have to be ready for s-w-e-e-t; they are super-duper sweet, for certain.

So here are the 4 ingredients responsible for this delicious treat: peanut butter, butterscotch chips (I use high quality, such as Guittard, because they are just a bit less sweet, use real vanilla, and make them just that much better!), butter, and mini flavoured multi-coloured marshmallows. That’s it! I’m so drawn to how reminscent they are of church socials and retro potlucks & bake sales.

Peanut Butter Marshmallow Hearts via Sweetapolita

Like I mentioned, I usually make them in bar form, but I thought it would be fun to use a heart cookie cutter and create a Valentine’s version, especially for the kids. Basically, you melt the buttery trio (peanut butter, butterscotch chips, and butter) over a double boiler until smooth, then toss in the marshmallows, stir, and spread across a baking sheet lined with parchment, using an offset palette knife (or anything that works for you). After they have set in refrigerator, you can use a heart cutter to cut the shapes out . . . voila!  Now, I know I mentioned that these are super easy and fun for kids to make, and that they are, but truth is, my little cakelets were preoccupied this weekend while I was making this batch.

You see, our littlest girl, Neve, is just learning to walk, and so there was a lot of excitement going on while I whipped these up. I puttered in the kitchen while Reese and Grant (daddy) helped Neve learn to practice her walk. She got so good at walking while holding her push toy, that I knew it would be just a few days until she took her first steps, and just a few hours ago she did! Three big steps into mommy’s arms! Here are some photos from the weekend:

Sweetapolita

Here’s Neve getting a feel for pushing the toy on her own. She looks pretty relaxed.

Sweetapolita

Big sister Reese, ready to help her baby sister walk. This is huge deal for Reese: she’ll finally have someone to run around with. Up until now, she would run up to an ever-sitting Neve, tap her on the shoulder, and yell “TAG–you’re it!” and run away.

Sweetapolita

Here’s Daddy giving Neve a little pep-talk & cuddle before she gives it a try.

Sweetapolita

A little warm-up with Daddy, and now she’s ready for walking with her toy on her own . . .

Sweetapolita

Oh yes, proud as punch, with a full cheering section (that’d be us . . . including Pasha, the cat, who didn’t want to miss any excitement). Neve (aka Lovie) was so proud of herself, as were we. How amazing tonight to have her walk to me — I forgot how utterly wonderful that feels! Now that you’ve let me gush about my sweethearts, let’s make some sweet-hearts.

Butterscotch Peanut Butter Marshmallow Hearts

Yield: Approximately 2 dozen 3-inch hearts

• 4 cups (680 g) premium butterscotch chips
  • 1 cup (227 g)(2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup (175 g) smooth peanut butter (I use Skippy or Kraft)
  • 6 cups mini flavoured multi-coloured marshmallows (you can use all white if you need to)

Instructions

1. Line a baking sheet with enough parchment paper to have overhang on the sides.
  2. Melt everything, except the marshmallows, in a stainless steel bowl on top of simmering water, until smooth. Take off heat and stir in marshmallows.
  3. Pour and spread mixture onto prepared baking sheet with an offset spatula. You can sprinkle and press some loose marshmallows over top, if desired. Chill until firm.
  4. For hearts you out heart shapes by using a sturdy heart cookie cutter. For best results, push heart treat through cutter from bottom upwards. You may need to clean the cutter after every few cuts. If you rotate heart cut-outs side by side (one up, one down), you will end up with minimal bits leftover.
  5. You can also take the scraps and throw them into a icing-sugar based frosting, mix with electric mixer until incorporated and fluffy. I have a feeling, though, that you may see those leftover bits disappear before you get that far!

Notes

*This recipe can be divided in half if you are making squares. Use an 8" square pan and cut into bars.

**Best kept refrigerated. Freeze well in a freezer bag or plastic storage container.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Comments

Good morning Rosie, it is always a great pleasure to read your amazing blog and see the beautiful things you make and bake. These photos are beautiful, your daughters are soo cute! love this recipe easy and delicious, yummy
    Bonne Chance

Rosie, now your are killing me!! Double sweetness with the kiddos and the hearts!! :D
    I can’t get the Guittard Butterscotch Chips, what could I use instead pls?

Hey! You can definitely use any type of butterscotch chips, the difference just being a slightly sweeter result. Trust me, they are so yummy no matter what. I happen to like Guittard because they are made with real vanilla and are a bit less sweet. Thanks so much for the sweet comments, honey! xo

3. Alex says

I banned myself from making these because I eat them until I want to vomit, and then I would eat more of them. Luckily, where I went to vet school they were a really common square to bring to potlucks and such.

These look so great! I would have loved these as a kid instead of a typical rice krispy treat! Congrats on the steps for your girlie – what a beautiful family!

Rosie…I just stumbled upon your blog and gasped out loud. The sweets! The darling colors! The precious pictures! I will be a die hard follower from here on out….happy baking from one baker to another.

Oh wow they are super adorable! You must be so proud! I am practically gushing for you!

And these butterscotch peanut butter hearts…the perfect way to celebrate the occasion!

I am so glad I found you.

My gosh, your girls are so very beautiful! and the daddy times are the best. and what cute little sweet treats for the angels.

goodness you have a beautiful family! I’m cursing living in Australia right now, I have no idea what butterscotch chips are – I don’t think we have anything like that here :(

9. Krista says

I’m making these this weekend with my boys! So excited. Once again, a location question. What store do you purchase your Guittard chips? Yah for Neve!

Thanks, Krista! I happened to get them at HomeSense, but other than ordering them online, they’re a bit tricky to find in the stores. You can definitely use the grocery-store brand (I think it’s Chipits), and they will still taste amazing. Have a great weekend!

• Krista says

I made these today. I put them in the freezer thinking I would save them until Valentine’s Day and send some with my husband to his place of employment. Turns out, I can’t stop eating them, nor can I stop thinking about them! So unbelievably good! If I make one more trip downstairs to the freezer………….ahhhhh…….

ohmygoodness, you sound just like me when I talk about my absolute favorite, highly addicting, must-eat-the-whole-pan-even-though-it’s-soooo-sweet treat. And guess what, it’s also super simple and involves peanut butter and butterscotch chips! There is truly something magical about that combination. And I actually posted these just the other week, if you’d like to take a look :)

Hey! This was too amazing to read. This Christmas, going over some of my Grandma’s cooking papers (she passed away several years ago and the house was still brimming with her recipe papersa nd binders), I bumped into a SHORT recipe labelled “Gord’s Favourites.” Gord is my dad, over 50 now but his mom must have handwritten this recipe down when he was about 10 and still living at home. So I read the recipe and well…I had never heard of such things…I’m too young I guess…

I made them for Christmas to test out if my dad would remember them. They were devoured!!

Anyways obviously this is the same recipe as my grandma wrote down some years ago, now here it is on your blog too :-)

I do agree they are a bit sweet when made with Chipits, which is what I used. Oh well – will try to find a better brand.

Bestest,
    -A

Oh!! It’s so exciting when kiddos start walking. My baby brother stood for the first time while I was babysitting and my family was at a soccer game.
    Love this treat, I’m going to have to make it for our bake sale!! I’m raising money at school to go to Cali in the Spring for a journalist convention!
    Jess :D

Hi Rosie,
    I just somehow stumbled onto your blog, and am in love! I can’t cook to save my life, but I am inspired by your beautiful images and recipes to perhaps attempt!
    And, your girls are lovely!
    Thea

Your work is amazing! Oh how I wish I lived closer so I could order some of your lovely treats!
    I just discovered your blog today as your valentine love letter cookies are being seen everywhere!

I do Friday party posts on my blog so with proper credit I would love to showcase your cookies sometime! I hope that would be okay?

15. Stephanie B. says

Just made these for our “Girls Spa Day”! They are currently cooling in the fridge…can’t wait to try them! I think I licked the bowl clean haha! Super sweet and easy! Thanks for the recipe :)

16. mohammed amer, saudi arabia says

i made this, it look nice and neat with the heart shape cutter, but the problem it was very sweet and rich(full of sugar), my gusts said it was very sweet they were not able to complete thier portion (one piece), i used nestle butterscothch chips and JIF (33% less sugar) peanut butter. i wouldn’t make it again cause it was so sweet and rich. thank you.

Rosie- your children are stunningly beautiful! I’m melting over here! Love the dessert but also love seeing such sweet pics of your family. xoxo

18. Erin says

Love this! Your babies are even better looking than your desserts (and that says A LOT). We have that stroller too and it was a nightmare to put together :). You need a Pin It button on here. I end up pinning most of your posts to Pinterest so a button would be great! Happy Valentine’s Day!!

Hey,
    I love your sweets and I follow you for, like 1 1/2 years now. Through your pictures I can see your children growing older every week:)
    I’d love to make these treats for christmas (caramel AND peanut butter!!!!) but I live in Austria and we don’t have butterscotch chips. I searched the internet and didn’t find any good recipes. Could you help me with that, it would be so great!! :)

S♥phie

PS: I lovelovelove your blog! It’s so great, but also very intimidating;)

Trackbacks