Glitter Cakes for Wedding Bells Magazine

For my American friends and family, Happy Fourth of July! With all of the buzz surrounding today’s American holiday, and a weekend of celebrating Canada Day in cottage country, I am definitely in celebration mode. What better way to keep the celebration going, than by sharing a preview of my first wedding magazine feature with you — Wedding Bells Fall/Winter 2011 (the issue is not on stands quite yet, but will be on July 11th!). And nothing says wintery celebration better than an abundance of glitter and confetti. When Rosie (yep, that’s her name!) from Wedding Bells asked me to create two jewel-toned, confetti-inspired, glitter-themed cakes, I was so excited (needless to say). I really connected with the theme, and I knew, as I’m sure you would imagine, it would be a truly fun and festive project to be part of.  The key with the cake design was keeping them clean and classic enough to ensure that the glitter was the star of the show, but, of course, super luxe and flirty.

Fun! I kept the large cake pure white with a mosaic of paper-thin sugar discs coated in 6 different jewel-toned shades of glitter (including my beloved 24 karat gold!) on the bottom tier, some simple swags on the middle tier, and a super-glittery sugar ribbon and bow in a custom red-raspberry glitter to finish the top tier. I coated the smaller cake completely using a custom-colour glitter that I created using 8 shades in total to compliment the larger cake, and topped it with 3 sugar cherries coated in the red-raspberry glitter and emerald glitter stems. Simple, but super sparkly!

My cakes were just one part of an entire glitterati story, and I love how it all came together: glittery stationery, centrepieces, favours, and, of course, absolutely stunning and vibrant glitter cupcakes and cookies by the talented Cat from Sugar Baking. Love it all!

Thanks for letting  me share my exciting news with you! I hope you’re having a great week so far, and I’ll be back in just a few days with another recipe to share!

Love, Rosie xo

*glitterati photos by Jim Norton Photography

Comments

1. Lydia S says

How awesome! I LOVE SPARKLE! Its total glitz and glam! Congrats to you and all your wonderful, hard work! I love all you do and this is just another wonderful creation! I’m from south Texas and love following your blog! I just made my first apple pie, well two for the 4th of July and so far,it looks great! Happy 4th! Woohoo! :)

So fantastic, Rosie! I seriously adore these cakes (just like your gorgeous glittery navy and gold cookies)! You have me itching to buy some glitter and use it on something…anything…sweet! Congrats, love them!

3. michelle says

Congratulations! Im so excited to see this wonderful opportunity to show off your beautiful creations! Just wait for the day the magazine hits the stands and watch how many new followers you will have. Congrats again!

4. Brooke says

OMG! I love your work! I’ve been looking for some edible glitter like that everywhere! What do you recommend using??

5. Mariannette says

Those cakes would be perfect for a New Year’s eve wedding.
    I predict they will spark a flood of requests for glitter themed cakes.

6. Jo says

Beautiful cakes Rosie! This may seem like a silly question but I’m assuming that’s edible glitter? I’ve never seen anything like it before, where would one find edible glitter?

7. Liz says

Oh my gosh, this is wonderful, Rosie! I will keep my eyes open for the issue!

All your hard work and incredible talent is continuing to bear fruit in every way!

Oh my! Congrats on the article, these are beautiful! You know, for a long long time I’ve been slightly suspicious of disco dust – in certain parts of the internet you will hear people shouting condemnation for ‘only’ being non-toxic and not ‘edible’ but you have thoroughly reassured me: if someone as popular and awesome at what they do as you can use them without fuss, why not?! I’m a complete glitter addict and have been gazing longingly at disco dusts in caking shops for just as long as I’ve been worried about using them, but now I’m finally going to get myself a couple of pots.

Basically, what I’m saying is that these are amazing.

9. Elizabaeth says

I love..at the moment Iam currently taking a Wilton Gum & Paste decoration course….I was not soo much interested in fondant but after seeing your art work I am now looking forward to it…

10. Judy says

Hi Rosie,

I was wondering if you could share your technique for applying glitter to the entire cake. I had a potential design in mind for a wedding client and I just wanted to get an very even finish… Thanks in advance for your help… please fee free to email me directly.

Judy
    (on Facebook at Pink Frosting Custom Cake Designs)