Sprinkled Chocolate Party Spoons

Chocolate Party Spoons via Sweetapolita

Admit it: you are even just a little bit happier in the presence of sprinkles. Right? Me too. Add pink spoons, jelly beans and good chocolate to the mix, and that’s my kind of party. What are they? Well, nothing more than a fanciful spoonful of delight that you eat straight from the spoon. They’re perfect for birthday parties, party favours or Tuesday afternoons. Now, I didn’t invent the chocolate party spoon, but wo-man, I sure wish I did. Honestly, why didn’t I think of that? I spotted the idea for these spoonfuls of happiness a few months ago, when Melissa shared them after seeing them on a really neat blog called Delicious Delicious Delicious. Mr. P explains that he saw them a in a baking book in Toyko, and that he had to give it a try. Even if it gave it my all, I could never resist giving these a go–they are just way too easy, too yummy and too awesome. I’m going to be making a heap of these for an upcoming February dinner party we’re attending, so I thought the girls and I could make a few yesterday, just to see how much time they take and to test them out.

These were one of the quickest but most rewarding treats I have ever made, rivaling even this sprinkled goodness, which I didn’t think possible, and talk about yummy, sprinkle-induced joy. The girls and I made a bunch of these yesterday (Note: If you want to infuse some happiness into the lives of 2 and 4-year old girls, tell them on a gloomy Tuesday afternoon that you’re pulling out every sprinkle and wee confection you own so that they can toss them onto warm, melted milk chocolate sitting in a delicious pool on a Barbie-pink spoon.) and brought them to dinner with a few close friends and their kids. Everybody wins!

Chocolate Party Spoons via Sweetapolita
So on a whim I snapped a few quick photos, and decided to share these little beauties with you (staying true to my spread-the-sprinkle-love gospel). There are really only 3 steps to happiness: melting your favourite chocolate (white, milk, dark, extra dark), spooning it into the plastic spoon of your choice (to keep it level, you can rest the spoon handles on a book or, if you’re doing a bunch of them, you can even rest them on the rubber spatulas you’ve laid out on a cookie sheet), and tossing in your favourite sprinkles, jelly beans (I used Birthday Cake Jelly Beans, among others), dragees, or pretty much anything small enough to fit in the spoon. I say, sprinkle spoons for everyone!

I love the visual, of course, but I also love the texture. Every bite is different and no two party spoons are the same!

Sprinkled Chocolate Party Spoons

Yield: 24 chocolate spoons

• 6 oz. (180 g) quality chocolate (milk, dark, white--anything!), chopped
  • sprinkles, jelly beans, confetti quins, small chocolate candies, or any other small confection
  • You will Also Need:
  • 24 coloured plastic spoons
  • cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
  • some spatulas (or a book) for resting party spoons while filling

Instructions

1. Place your plastic spoons on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, resting the spoon handles on a rubber spatula or book, to level them out while filling.
  2. Temper your chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave (or in a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water on the stove), by warming for 20 second intervals and stirring in between. When the chocolate is almost (80%) completely melted, remove from the microwave and keep stirring until the last few pieces are completely melted and the chocolate is smooth.
  3. Spoon melted chocolate into your plastic spoons, about 80% full (the sprinkles and candies will fill the rest)--any more than that, and they will likely overflow (trust me, it happened to me).
  4. Add your sprinkles, candies and more. Place cookie sheet in the freezer or refrigerator for about 20 minutes to set.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Sweetapolita’s Notes:

• If you choose to add any chocolate bits to the melted chocolate spoons, be sure to wait a few moments for the chocolate to cool in the spoon, so your chocolate additions don’t melt.
  • When adding jelly beans, wait a few moments for the chocolate to start to set, so they don’t sink.
  • I recommend using a good quality chocolate–nothing crazy expensive, but just something that tastes great.
  • Use any colour spoon to tie into any party theme or idea.
  • Get adventurous with the sprinkles and candy you add–anything goes!
  • Spoon in the melted chocolate and then let kids do the rest. A perfect birthday party (or even rainy day) activity!

Related posts:

Comments

1. 1

The prettiest spoons I have ever seen!

2. 2

Oh these are so adorable! I’ve seen chocolate spoons before that you stir into hot milk to make hot chocolate but not ones that you can just eat which is, in my opinion, a much better thing to do with them! You can never have too many sprinkles in your life…

3. 3

I adore this colorful post!

4. 4

Cute, cute, cute!!!

5. 5

ok that is just fun!

6. 6

What a delicious way to pretty up any party table. Love these and the gorgeous photographs!

7. 7

I love sprinkles and chocolate, these would be lovely at any party.

8. 8

what a lovely idea! i’m co-hosting a birthday party for a 4-yr old and this is perfect! thank you!

9. 9

Yes, sprinkles make everything better! PS—I love the way you pair colors so beautifully!

10. 10

These are perfect! I love the colorful sprinkles. I’m pinning one of the pictures now. :)

11. 11

Love these!!! Yours are incredibly pretty and fun :). I made these for a Christmas Party and they were SO much fun to make.

12. 14

Oh gee, how freaking cute are these! I love the little pink spoons :)

13. 15
  14. 16
    mizrahmeerez says:

We make a similar version in Mexico. Except we use dulce de leche or tarindo and chile. These are so pretty!

15. 18

How beautiful! I think this is perfect for a birthday party. (:

16. 19

these are the cutest things ever!

17. 20

You are so creative! Love these!!!

18. 21

What a perfect recipe for a party! Very fun!

19. 22

I’m in love! These are so festive and I’m sure they’d be a huge hit at any party!

20. 23

Perfect amusement. It’s like doing shots at a party.

21. 24

These are the cutest little spoons ever! … and yes, sprinkles totally make me smile :)

22. 25

You had me at the first picture! I still have my mouth open, maybe I should run to the kitchen and have a spoon of Nutella to satiate this desire you just awakened!

23. 26
    Sweetsugarbelle says:

I’d hang this on my wall! And I’m definitely doing this with my kids!

24. 27

Fabulous!!!!!! So cute :)

25. 28

Super cute, what a great idea! Does the chocolate come off the spoon easy?

26. 29

So cute!! Im thinking about adding a velentines version of this to each of my valentine goodie bags :)

27. 30

Rosie they are gorgeous! I love love love this and what a fun idea!

28. 31

The simplest things bring our tummies joy :3 These look so cute and precious and just so dainty!

I didn’t know they made cake flavored jelly beans! I must try!

29. 32

Haha, so CUTE!

30. 33

Forget salt water … sprinkles cure everything.

31. 34

What a cute idea and a fun little gift to give too!

32. 35

This is such a cute idea. Do you think you could make edible spoons too so the whole thing can be eaten? That would be very cool :-)

33. 36

Who knew you could have so much fun with a spoon! Brilliant!

Maria xx

34. 37

lovely idea, rosie! so fun and easy to make!

35. 38
  36. 40

These are so cute!

37. 41

is there any concern of the spoon breaking? i seem to be confused as to how my three year old would eat this or should i just watch her like a hawk while she is eating it?

• 42

Hi Alysa,
      Because the chocolate sort of melts in their mouths, there is really no reason for the spoon to break. I suppose anything could happen, but the kids just suck on the chocolate (or as my little one does, simply bites it off) and it’s quickly gone. Sort of like a chocolate lollipop. Hope this helps!

38. 43

So cute! Can’t wait to make Valentine’s-themed spoons for my co-workers!

39. 44

These are so cute and fun that I WISH I had a party for which I could make these now!

40. 45

Can you pin this pinterest? I would love to repin it!

41. 46

Your sprinkles and decorations never fails to impress me! Am waiting patiently for your next cake quest though! Something lemony,fruity,citrusy or perhaps velvety? ;) xx

42. 47

I am also confused how you would eat these. Wouldn’t the spoon break?

• 48

Jasmina, it’s a fun little treat where you simply eat the chocolate off the spoon–at room temperature, the chocolate is soft and begins to melt as soon you begin eating it. The spoon really has no reason to break.

43. 49

I love the idea! It won’t matter if the idea isn’t originally mine, the kids will still love that we have prepared something as sweet (and pretty!) as these spoons are. Have to try this very soon. My little girl will giggle with excitment once she sees this!

44. 50

This is an amazing idea! I just started a food/recipe blog and am in AWE of your talent. Check my blog out for some healthy quick dinner ideas if you get time!

45. 51

Oh these are totally genius!

46. 52

Hum, good idea! Very simple and very stylisé! perfect for a busy mom!
    I’ll do it for my son’S birthday next week…

47. 53

Those are too cute! Perfect for a birthday party. And thanks for introducing us to Delicious, Delicious, Delicous. What a great blog!

• 54

Glad you liked the idea! And I ♥ the spoons you made. The best thing about them is when they melt in your mouth and you get to eat all the little sweets. Well, and the fact that they are so sweet. Actually, come to think about it, there are lots of great things about party spoons!

48. 55

Rosie these little party spoons are way too fun! Love the vibrancy & the crunch :)

49. 56

I just worry about the chemicals in the plastic spoon leaching out into the chocolate when it is hot. Any thoughts on this? Otherwise I think these are great and would be a hit at any party or rainy day

50. 58

that is so lovely!

51. 59

These are so lovely! The kids will love this.

52. 60

I love these…I’ve seen them floating around and never take a moment to make them and then completely forget about them, until someone posts about them…..

They are so cute, fun and easy!!!

Thanks for sharing!!

53. 61

These make me happy! :)

54. 62

Fun idea!

55. 63

Great blog!! Just discovered you through Pinterest. What a fun idea for Valentine’s Day. I am sure these would be a huge hit, and so colorful and fun.

56. 64

So gorgeous!! Perfect for kiddos and mommies alike :)

57. 65

So I tried these at Christmas, and the chocolate just slipped right off the spoon after it was cooled. Why? What would happen if you tried to dip the whole spoon down in the melted chocolate?

58. 66

Ok, so I made these for my little girls first birthday….and they were a HIT! All gone before I could reach for one myself. Fabbo.

59. 67

Rosie, I love your sprinkles! Do you buy them locally or do you have a website where you buy them? I have become obsessed with sprinkles (for a good reason) and I need to add to my slowly growing collection!

60. 68

WOW! This makes me smile! What a fun, unique idea to add to a party!

61. 69

Making these spoons for the baby shower I’m having….not sure if it will be part of the favor or part of the desserts. Love them!

62. 70

I know some little girls that will love this idea !!! So cute & pretty too !

63. 71

This is such a brilliant idea! To pour it in these plastic spoons and decorate them. I am going to make it for my next party. Love it!

64. 72
    Dianna Belle says:

wow! am I going to steal(borrow) this idea!.. thanks for sharing!

65. 73
    Hannah says:

These are super amazing! Just wondering if they can be kept for a few days beforehand? My daughters birthday is this weekend and I want to start getting things ready :) Thank you

66. 74

O.K. I’m stealing ideas from you left and right! I’m planning on using the rainbow doodle cake for my daughter’s 5th birthday and, while I’m at it, I intend to make these spoon yummies with a s’mores twist as we’re cooking out and having a hay ride for her party! I’ll use mini dehydrated marshmallows and itty bitty graham cracker bits as ‘sprinkles’. Thanks for the inspiration!

67. 75

–OMgggg, these sprinkled pink gems caused my heart to leap!
    I shall make for the Holidays or Any Day. Thank you. <3 mmmm

68. 76

Can I use this for my blog w/ your link?

Thanks!

69. 77

How far in advance can these be made?

70. 78

I can’t wait to try these for Christmas. Have with after dinner coffee/cocoa with chocolate and crushed peppermint sticks in red spoons.

71. 79

What a wonderful idea! Found you on pinterest and this would be perfect to take for my sons b-day forh is class love it!

72. 80

Going to make it next month for my daughters birthday party. They look adorable and a very inexpensive dessert. I cannot wait to see how excited the kids will be to see these at the dessert table. Thanks for a fantastic idea!

73. 81

This is such a great idea – super cute! Shared on our Facebook wall this morning. Thank you! :)

74. 82

Love the idea!!! It will be a blast for an upcoming dessert bar! Yumm Yumm!!!
    Thanks so much for the amazing ideas :)

75. 83

LOVE this idea. Would be a great gluten-free dessert for a kids party. Thanks for the idea and I already pinned it!

76. 84
    Darlene says:

Hi, Rosie @ Sweetapolita, thanks for sharing this! I am wondering if you simply use a spoon to spoon the chocolate to the plastics spoons?

77. 85
    MoniqueUnique says:

I have wanted to try these with my children for a while now and with the school/nursery fundraising fayre next month we have the perfect excuse. However I can only find the brittle plastic disposable spoons that are white or clear and unable to source any of the softer type of plastic which won’t shatter if a child does bite the spoon (would be fine for our family but not to donate to the home-baking stall at the fayre), so does anyone have any idea where to get these pretty coloured plastic spoons in Scotland?

78. 86

Wow, your pictures are amazing!

79. 87

Could you make this with a flavored ganache? Like a truffle in a spoon? Or would it just melt and be messy?

80. 88
    Jackie Piert says:

OHH doing the happy dance here!! I am going to make these for a bridal shower!! I don’t care if it’s in the summer!!! People drink coffee and other hot drinks in the summer…these are to adorable!!! I will package them indivually and display on the desert table!!!! woohoo or do something with them haha!!!
    Thanks bunches!!
    Jackie
    Don’t you love the feeling you get when you find something easy and cute to do!!!