Chevron Cake + Chevron & Stache Party!

Chevron & Stache Table via Sweetapolita

Something different today, friends! If you’ve been wondering where I’ve been recently, it’s been a whirlwind of chevron and staches in my kitchen for weeks. I’ve been preparing for Mary’s (my beloved sister-in-law) baby shower dessert table in honour of my soon-to-be-born nephew, and you know I loved every minute of this.

Chevron & Stache Dessert Table via Sweetapolita

image: Ted Sheppard

We celebrated this past Sunday at the lake, where the sun was shining and the house a buzz with Mary’s closest friends and family giddy with love and first-time-mom-to-be excitement. If ever there has been a woman meant to be a mom, it’s her, and we can’t wait to greet this cherished little man in May (and by greet I mean spoil beyond belief). And what better way to celebrate than with countless pounds of butter and sugar disguised as an array of little man mustaches and chevron cake?

Chevron & Stache Party via Sweetapolita

Mary loves blue of all shades, particularly turquoise, and she loves chevron. And her man loves all-things mustache, so it seemed like an obvious choice to embrace the recent trend of chevron and staches with a slight rustic twist, since the party was being held in cottage country. I did find some incredible inspiration (check out this unbelievable party) peppered all over Pinterest, so it wasn’t long before I found myself scribbling all sorts of dessert table details and sketches on paper.

I knew that a crisp graphic two-tier chevron cake was going to be part of the plan, so I spent a few weeks planning how I was going to execute that. I’ve never done a chevron cake, and I really wanted it to be super-clean and almost paper-like. Before we chat about chevron cake, I’d love to share a few photos from the rest of the dessert table:

Stache Cookies via Sweetapolita

I started with a big batch of mustache cookies using my favourite dark chocolate cookie recipe and my Fred and Friends Munchstaches Cookie Cutter/Stamps — I’ve been dying to use these! I also made a huge batch of salted chocolate chip cookies and saved a few scoops of the cookie dough to add to the cake filling. One of my new favourite buttercream variations, for certain.

Chevron & Stache Party via Sweetapolita

I made some lemon cupcakes filled with lemon curd and topped with lemon frosting, along with some funfetti cupcakes and fondant-covered little man cookies.

Mustache Lollies via Sweetapolita

I couldn’t resist making some chocolate mustache lollies (my favourite ones are the “blonde” staches, for some unknown reason). I used candy melts this time, just for pure convenience really. They do yield a super-glossy and resilient stache!

Chevron & Stache Party via Sweetapolita

Cousin Leah made these adorable mustache cake pops, which were a big hit — especially with cakelet Neve who said these were her “most favourite thing on the party table.”

Chevron & Stache Party via Sweetapolita

Chevron & Stache Party via Sweetapolita

image: Ted Sheppard

I made a batch of cheesecake pops and topped them with some little mustache flags (I’m in love with these little flags!). I love cheesecake pops for a dessert table because you can make and freeze them ahead of time, I discovered. Since I couldn’t possibly make all of these treats at the last minute, it was important that I could do as much as possible in the weeks leading up to the party. I froze them in large plastic freezer bags, opened just a bit. I took them from freezer to fridge the day before the party and they held up so well during the travel and, most importantly, tasted fabulous.

Chevron Cake via Sweetapolita

image: Ted Sheppard

So, now let’s talk Chevron Cake! The cake was a 5-inch round atop an 8-inch round dark chocolate cake filled with cookie dough Italian Meringue buttercream and covered in vanilla buttercream, marshmallow fondant and finally chevron “panels” made from white and turquoise candy clay. A week or so before I started making the cake, I started looking for a chevron pattern I liked online, to use as a template — who knew there were so many, but the size of the chevron really does change the whole look of the cake. I knew I wanted it to be on the larger size because I liked the visual, but also because I wanted to apply the chevron pattern in panels, and I knew that if the pattern itself was too small there’d be more chance for misalignment — eek!

First I should say that the Candy Clay recipe is from the Wilton website, and I highly recommend it. Candy clay is essentially like a yummy playdough that boasts an amazing sheen, softens with the warmth of your hand, doesn’t dry out when exposed to air and cuts into shapes beautifully. It’s so easy to make (like scary easy) — it’s literally just melted candy melts and corn syrup stirred together — the corn syrup seizes the candy melts and, once it’s dried out a bit, you simply knead it into a modeling clay of sorts. And while you can’t cover a cake in it (it has no real stretch component), it’s amazing for decorating fondant-covered cakes. It doesn’t bend or distort like fondant does when you try to pick up small pieces or strips, making it ideal for this kind of a graphic design.

So I went with this pattern template, printed it out at 100% and then cut a section from it that would become my panel template (you could use any printable chevron pattern online or even chevron scrapbook paper). My cakes were 4.5″ high, so I cut the template piece at that height, one chevron wide. I decided to cut the chevron straight down the middle, resulting in two pieces, so essentially each panel was half of a chevron wide (1.75-inches). The circumference of my 8-inch cake was 26-inches, so I knew I needed 14 panels (26 divided by 1.75 = 14).

Using an awesome technique created by Jessica Harris, I simply placed waxed paper squares over the template paper (just a bit bigger than the template), applied a thin layer of shortening to the wax paper and lined up the bottom edges. I then placed strips of the candy clay (turquoise and white) along the lines of the template until it was covered, then trimmed the edges with a small sharp knife. I gently rubbed some shortening to the area of the cake where each panel would be applied, using a paper towel, and then carefully pressed each panel onto the cake, making sure each one was straight. Technically you could just do the turquoise (or colour of your choice) portion of the template, leaving the white as negative space, but I really wanted to fill in the white areas with white candy clay.

To ensure your pieces are all the same thickness (and to save you a lot of time and rolling), use a Pasta Machine at a nice thin setting to feed your rolled candy clay pieces through (it also works well for fondant and gumpaste too). I cut one “stripe” from a leftover piece of the template paper and used it to cut all of my chevron stripes with before placing on the wax paper.

In a perfect world, if your math is right, your panels should all line up, but remember that if each one is off even a tiny bit, then in the end you might end up with too much space or not enough for that last panel. (Trust me.) But, you can always have a “back” to the cake if you end up with an oopy with the final panel.

I made the cake topper by simply cutting five 1-inch patterned paper circles and threading them together and securing them to two skewers. I was inspired by this amazing cake, and it’s one of my favourite details!

And just in case you’re feeling the need to nestle your chevron cake among an array of other desserts, here’s a recap of the Chevron & Stache treats that were part of the party:

Chevron & Stache Dessert Table Menu:

Party Detail Sources:

Little Man graphics (cupcake wrappers, signage, large table banner and cupcake toppers): thatpartygirl

Wooden Chevron & Mustache party forks: Sucre Shop

Mustache Flags (on cheesecake pops): Postscripts

Mustache Cookie Cutters: Fred and Friends Munchstaches Cookie Cutter/Stamps

Brown Parchment Cupcake Liners: Regency Tulip Baking Cups

Mustache Lolli Mold: Mustache Fun Face Lollipop Molds

Mustache Mold for Fondant Cookie Toppers: Accoutrements Mustache Ice Cube Tray

And that was that! (Exhale.)

I’ll see you soon with a super sun-shiney cake post. ♥

Comments

1. Mary says

I am still blown away by it all!! It was all so amazing and delicious!! (as I polish off yet another cheesecake pop…yum!). Love you to bits! xoxoxoxo

2. Karlie says

So lovely! I agree with Robyn, the cookies are adorable, did you use candy clay for the mustaches on the cookies as well, or is that fondant? Love, love love! Thanks for sharing!

3. Gwyn M says

Whoa!!! I can’t believe you did all of that!!! The cake looks absolutely gorgeous and the presentation is divine! Will you be posting recipes for all of the desserts you used for this? I would love to know how to make the cheesecake pops for my wedding since I’m not a fan of traditional cake pops. Lovely post!

4. Kelly says

This is an amazing spread! So pretty and spunky. How much cookie dough did you add to the Italian Meringue buttercream to give it good flavor? That sounds like a frosting that I could bathe in. :)

5. Natasha says

You tempt us with salted Belgian chocolate chip cookies and cookie dough Italian meringue buttercream but no recipes? Sounds so amazing! Please share the recipes :)

This is so beautiful! You really did an amazing job! The cake is just gorgeous! I am extremely interested in your cookie dough Italian meringue buttercream and also the cheesecake pops! I love cheesecake but I have yet to try and turn them into a cake pop.

7. anja says

wow I’m amazed by your creativity, the table looks awesome and I couldnt decide on which dessert I would try first!
    I would love to read the cakepop recipe ;)

8. Mai says

1) This is stunning.
    2) I am a bit of a lurker, but I thought you should know that 99% of the cakes I have made in the past two years have been one of your recipes, and they are always, ALWAYS a hit. My favorite is the orange ginger carrot cake with white chocolate almond frosting. People go CRAZY for that one.
    3) cookie-dough SMBC????? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE share the recipe?? I feel like I need it in my life.

Yea, I’ve wondering where you’ve been since you last posted, Rosie :)

I love chevrons and the party is sooo beautiful! You did an amazing job!

oh my, you sure are gifted, your cake is faboulous! I just gave a try to your meringue nests, such a cute idea too (but way easier to make)…thanks for sharing!

Your creativity and attention to detail never fails to amaze me! What a wonderful dessert table and what a special celebration it must have been.

Wow…this would be so good to make in our national colors when the new King will be crowned in April (netherlands) Worried though if the pattern will be so neat as yours! You should do vidoe tuturials!
    Regards, Dionne Love your blog!

What a gorgeous and beautifully though-out shower. You didn’t miss a speck of detail and the guests must have been blown away! Using a pasta machine to roll out the candy clay was brilliant!
    Congratulations to your sister-in-law and her husband! Enjoy that new nephew when he makes his grand appearance :)

14. Àngela Parra Pèrez says

I need to tell you something: I love you, Rosie! Your cakes are one of my sugar inspirations. This is an amazing baby shower, with all those cute mustaches… I’m sure that was a perfect party!

Wow, that dessert table is so lovely! So much thought to detail, for sure. Congrats to your sister-in-law and the rest of your extended family. Boys are so much fun!!

That’s quite the shower spread! (Was there real food, too, non-dessert food? Those guests must’ve been stuffed!)

And speaking of showers, I’d like to thank you for blogging such great recipes and tips, ’cause you totally saved my butt this weekend — I was throwing a shower, too, and your SMB recipe was just perfect.

17. Louise says

Love the look and what a terrific technique to try – candy clay! I have the Fred cutters and made cookies using your chocolate cookie recipe for a movember fundraiser, worked really well and everyone loved the flavour, I even managed cookie pops with the more robust shapes.

Rosie! This looks so much like a shower that I attended for a baby boy last month. Minus the absolutely fabulous cake. But their theme was mustaches and chevron, and they had the mustache lollies and cookies, cupcakes, and then they opted for a candy bar with little chinese take-out boxes labeled with mustaches for everyone to full and take home. Their colour scheme was blue (like blue whale gummies) and bright-nearly-peachy-orange. Like fuzzy peaches. What a feast for the eyes!
    I am inspired by your chevron cake. Until I read your post, I was sure from the photo that it was covered with paper. Or a plastic cake. But I have been reading your blog long enough that I should know better!
    Awesome job!

AMAAAAZZZZIIING! love it! gorgeous colours and details as usual, you can feel the love and hard work put into that beautiful table of delights!

question for you rosie, what does the candy melt panels taste like, and is it hard like candy or soft to eat like fondant?

Thanks so much, Lyndsay! The candy clay panels taste much like a combination of modeling chocolate (it’s sort of a quick and easy version of modeling chocolate) and fondant. It cuts beautifully and is soft to eat. Love it! xo

20. Summer says

This is a beautiful, well displayed table and your execution of the ubiquitous chevron is very visually striking. Plus, your link via the talented Jessica Harris is of my daughter’s birthday party and the cake she made for her. How fun is that! Thanks for the gorgeous post.

21. Amy says

BEAUTIFUL! I’m so impressed! I would love to try this for my daughter’s birthday cake. How did you get the turquoise and white strips of modeling chocolate to stick together on your panels? I read it over and over again but I didn’t quite understand that part. You are amazing, thanks for sharing!

Sincerely,
    Amy :)

22. Shannon Young says

Everything on that table looks amazing! From the mustache lollipops to the cupcakes to the chevron cake, they all look something from a high end expensive cupcake bakery! I was also wondering how you made the cupcake wrappers (brown) from one of the cupcakes shown above, they look fancy.

Beautiful! What an amazing spread. A hearty thank you for providing so many details, recipes, and tips. I have to try using candy clay. Maybe I’ll start small with cupcake toppers. Thanks again!

What an amazing display!! All the colours are so refreshing! Loving the mustache & bow tie cake pops!
    Thank you for the advice on the candy clay, I’ll have to give it go as well. The chevron pattern is just immaculate!
    Thank you Rosie! :-)

25. Billie says

Thanks for being so inspiring! I have been following your blog for the last year and every time I read one of your awesome posts I am so thankful for that wonderful day that I first discovered your blog! My baking has been improved a thousand times over through your detailed help and guidance and being from the UK, I love that you show everything in grams! Most blogs work in cups which I just find too open to variation, when baking is all about precision!
    I am also super thrilled that you will soon have a book out and have no idea why this didn’t happen sooner when you have, undeniably, one of the best baking blogs on the net! Anyway, speaking of books, I could write a book about how awesome you are but I digress…
    I did actually have a question about the chevron cake and that was just to check which one of your dark chocolate cake recipes you used? I am looking for a chocolate cake to make for my son’s 3rd birthday and I love your dark chocolate cakes recipes but since you usually work with SMB, and the cakes are so light and fluffy, I wasn’t sure if they’d hold up under fondant and then I saw this! Yey! So if you could just clarify which recipe you used then I would be most grateful!
    Thanks again for being so unbelievably awesome and sharing your awesomeness with the world!

26. Anna says

Can you do the candy clay transfer technique on to a buttercream frosted cake instead of a fondant covered cake? My friend, the mom-to-be is not a fan of fondant.

27. Carol says

Hi Rosie,

Can you please tell me which of your cake recipes I could use to cover in fondant other than the dark choc cake?