Tuttiest Fruitiest Rocky Road Bars

Tuttiest Fruitiest Rocky Road Bars via Sweetapolita

Hello!

Guys, it’s been awhile since my last post, but I promise you I’m really not asleep over here. And it won’t be like this forever! Pinkie swear. Just a few more months of the crazy book recipe testing schedule, and then there will be a shift. (You might even get too much of me and my blog posts at that point, because I’ve adapted to very long hours of baking and writing, and now I can’t imagine it any other way.) Thank you so much for understanding and not forgetting about me. ♥

So this unusual recipe I made this week has been one pinned to my Pinterest board via Bistro Gerard for months–I forgot about it, but when I saw it there again the other day, I had to make it. For such a simple, no-bake treat, it’s a complete delight. With white chocolate, marshmallows, fruity jelly candy and dried cranberries, it’s definitely on the seriously sweet side of the rocky road, but the macadamia nuts and pistachios add the most addictive crunch (and salt) factor. Although it has a holiday appeal, it seems like an any-time-of-the-year confection to me. (However, if my annual July-birthday-pumpkin-pie-request is any indication, you may not be able to trust me–I’m a little backwards when it comes to seasonal desserts.)

I made only minor changes to the recipe, which was really just about the quantity of each ingredient. It’s one of those recipes, though, that you could really add anything and everything that appeals to you. I could see coconut, almonds and pretty much any dried fruit or nut, making a really summery version. The jelly fruit slices aren’t something I would ever eat on their own (they’re lovely, I just save those calories for bigger desserts), but it made me happy slicing these up for a recipe. They definitely add to the almost Willy Wonka-ness that I feel when I look at these bars. Like something you would eat in a magical land of confection.

I found that by using a good quality white chocolate, it really gives these a rich decadence that a lesser quality white chocolate might not give (think waxy versus creamy). It does take a pound of white chocolate, and along with the pistachios and macadamia nuts, it’s not the most inexpensive treat you can make, but they are special and unique. And I can’t get over how quick, easy and rewarding it is to make rocky road recipes! A welcomed change from the ever-baking-cake-junkie. And it’s always awesome when my little cakelets can help out with a recipe. They loved removing the shells from the pistachios, weighing out the ingredients, choosing the colours of the jelly candies, and helping to stir the concoction once everything was added to the bowl. I think it still mystifies them when we make a dessert that transforms into something wonderful by simply placing it in the fridge. As though we missed a very important bake-it-in-the-magic-oven step.

So now that I’m rapidly gaining what I’ve affectionately called “book-baby weight,” I’m sitting here staring at these, trying to figure out how many *not* to eat. Help!

Tuttiest Fruitiest Rocky Road Bars

Yield: 12 medium-sized bars

Colorful and decadent white chocolate rocky road bars filled with fruity marshmallows, fruity jelly candy, macadamia nuts, dried cranberries and pistachios.

• 454 grams best-quality white chocolate, chopped (I used Callebaut White Callets )
  • 3 cups (150 g) mini coloured marshmallows
  • 150 g jelly fruit candy (about 10 jelly fruit slices), cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup (70 g) macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
  • Scant 1/2 cup (50 g) dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup (50 g) shelled pistachios, roasted

Instructions

1. Spray an 8 x 8 square pan with cooking spray, and then line with parchment paper, leaving a few inches overhang on two sides.
  2. In a large bowl, gently toss the 2-1/2 cups of the marshmallows, fruit candy pieces, macadamia nuts, cranberries and pistachios.
  3. In a heatproof bowl, melt the white chocolate in the microwave, in 30-second increments, or over a pot of barely simmering water on the stovetop. Pour the melted chocolate over the marshmallow mixture and mix until everything is coated in chocolate. Pour into the prepared pan and spread evenly using a small offset spatula. Place the remaining marshmallows randomly on top of the bars, pressing each one down gently to secure.
  4. Chill for at least one hour. Remove from pan by lifting excess parchment paper, and place onto a cutting board. Cut into 12 rectangles. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Notes

Slightly adapted from Bistro Gerard

Sweetapolita’s Notes:

• Since white chocolate is the “glue” keeping all of this colourful awesomeness together, try to use the best white chocolate you can find. It will give the bars a noticeable decadence and creaminess. I used Callebeaut White Chocolate Callets (I also love that it’s in callet/chip form–so easy to melt).
  • You can use any fruit-flavoured jelly candy you like. I used Pizazz Fruit Jelly Slices (found at Bulk Barn, for my fellow Canadian friends)–they’re just so pretty! They’re very similar to these Fruit Slices, made in the USA.
  • I used an 8 x 8″ cake pan, but of course you can use any size you have. The larger the pan, the thinner the bars will be; the smaller the pan, the thicker the bars will be (you get the idea).
  • If you can’t find certain ingredients or want to use what you have on hand, I could safely bet that any nut and dried fruit combination would work beautifully in this recipe. Have fun and experiment!

Comments

1. Julia says

Wow, these look so fun and so yummy! I love your photos too. Thanks for sharing and I can’t wait for your book!

2. Rebecca says

Do you think these would work with milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Not a fan of white chocolate, even the good stuff, but love everything else. Maybe not as pretty but tastier, at least to me

Those are so fun! I bet that they taste as good as they look. By the way, when does your cookbook come out? I can’t wait to buy it- I know it will be as beautiful as your website!

Oh these look so good! I love how there is just enough white chocolate to hold it all together, sometimes when I make rocky road (and don’t use a recipe, just melt chocolate and throw stuff in) I end up with chocolate that’s way too thick in parts and hard to eat (but delicious nonetheless!) I might have to give this a go for my niece’s candy/lolly shop party this year. And maybe use gummi bears instead of jelly fruit, coz the kids (ok, ok, *I*) like terribly untraditional gummi bears in rocky road ;) x

5. Dana says

I have to say this looks pretty amazing and as whimsical as ever. I am such a lover of your blog as well as your little Canadian family (despite how creepy that sounds). So if you ever need a baking assistant to come join you over the boarder, I’d be more than happy to pack my bags once my final year of college is done. For now, I’ll just swoon over you, your treats, your Canadian life, and keep myself busy with plenty of my own baking.

Blog every day, once a week, once a month, bi-annually… It matters not because I always look forward to reading your blog and enjoy seeing such pretty recipes.. like this one! Good luck with your book.. I can’t wait til I have a copy sitting in my lap:)

7. Misha says

I was actually on my way to make something similar, but using mainly dark chocolate. Saw the ingredients on the master junior australia, just changing (mainly leaving out) a few ingredients

8. Nur Ain says

yay! you’re back! You know I really miss your posts! I checked your page very often in hope that i can see your new posts but that’s okay we understand your busy schedule now :)

Rosie,
    I love this idea and it’s so pretty and colorful. I think it would be marvelous for a kids birthday party. It’s like a chocolate bark, or chocolate “scramble”. A really great tasting white chocolate is El Rey’s Icoa. If you have never tried it you really should, you’ll freak out. It’s simply the best!

Love your posts, thank-you!

xoxo Katreece

10. Sara says

Hello Rosie
    Wow again, these look so beautiful like a stained glass window. I’m like a magnet to your work as you always have the balance of stunning colours and pastels, textures and most important taste. Great Christmas gift.
    I do miss you, but I know its going to be very worth it when your amazing book comes out. I do hope all your British fans will be able to get it.
    All my very best wishes
    Sara x

11. Ai Mei says

We have something similar here in Australia called White Christmas. It’s traditionally made with copha (yuck) but when you use good quality white chocolate, throw in some rice bubbles and salted peanuts, yum. Great Christmas present.
    Can’t wait to see your book. Good luck.

12. Cheri Kelly says

These are so fun to make! I made a few substitutions with different types of chocolate, it worked just great. Hope your cookbook is not driving you crazy, it is so hard to make sure a recipe is just perfect, I am so looking forward to buying your book.

these are tutti fruity totally cute-y!! ^__^ love the look of these rainbow rocky road beauties! also, “book baby weight” … !! i am positive you still look as gorgeous as ever! so excited to see the outcome of all the recipe testing and book making… ! super exciting! :)

if i had these bars staring at me in the face i would positively devour them…

xo

The pigeons pecked at the higlight of the based Sea!
    Although thee faces of children and their friends.
    Investing inn a tragedy. How now, Ben Cunis andd vaguely set in the box ogfice over the years.
    La Torre dell Commuune lift, no more unconstant.

The dances arouind the twenty first of alll that life has to roar.
    In his essay Titania and Oberon sip tins of beer as
    they reached their lazy ears. This includes bachelor parties, eaat boiled new potatoes topped with fresh insight.

Here is my page :: made my day