The winner of the Best-Loved Bakers’ Gifts 2013 Giveaway is . . .
#2778 Melissa Davison: “ERMEHGERD! That is the exact color of mixer I have been pining for for ages! My kitchen is all vintage pastels so this would be perfect! Anyway, I’m not a holiday celebrator for religious reasons, but I will say that whenever that time of year comes around, I get to craving some serious pie! Every week for months, I’ve been making a few and passing them around to family and friends. I think this week will be German Chocolate Pie!”
Congratulations, Melissa ! You will also be notified by email.
I’ll be back soon with another recipe!
. . .
Yay for pretty baking stuff!
Happy December, everyone! First I just want to tell you that I’m so close to my book manuscript due date, which can only mean one thing: frequent blogging again. And of course it means I’ll be even closer to sharing my actual book with you. It’s been quite a journey, to say the least. I wish I could tell you all about the recipes you’ll find inside, but alas we’ll keep that a secret. Let’s just say it will be my heart and soul . . . in print. And a lot of butter and sugar! So what I’m trying to say is thank you so much for being patient. I know my presence has been sporadic, but I’m here. xo
So from presence to presents, let’s get back to these holiday gifts. With the holidays, well, here (eek!), I want to share some of my favourite baker gift ideas with you and, yep, you guessed it: one lucky reader is going to WIN one of everything!
Let’s talk a little bit more about all of this prettiness . . .
1. Candy Shop Aprons: As you probably guessed, I have a thing for aprons, but I think every baker does. But I think it’s one of those things that people have a hard time buying themselves, yet they’re so useful. I’m always scrambling for a nice, clean ready-to-mess apron among my kitchen linens, and the pretty ones always get chosen first. I adore this pink polka-dotted Marilyn Strawberry Shortcake Apron from Flirty Aprons. If pink’s not your thing, it also comes in mint green, black and more. So pretty.
2. Handmade Mixer Tees: I just came across these a few weeks ago, and I think they are the cutest. These Mixer Tees from Caustic Threads on Etsy are hand printed, and come in everything from baby onesies to adult tees, and you can choose your own colours. Love these.
3. Frosted Donut Ornaments: I’m pretty certain I don’t need to explain why these are awesome, but aren’t they? Our Christmas tree is adorned with plenty a baked-good ornament, and it brings me great happiness every time I look at them. You can find these charming Frosted Donut Ornaments, along with countless other sweet-themed ornaments (think chocolate cream pie, banana splits and blueberry pie, to name a few), on Trendy Tree. If sugar’s not your thing, how about a shimmery pickle, t-bone steak, or watermelon-wedge ornament? They’ve got ’em.
4. Pastel KitchenAid Mixer: Okay, so we all love them, but they do make for an ambitiously generous gift. But what about giving a gift card towards your baker-recipient’s favourite mixer? My current obsession is this minty Pistachio Green shade, but KitchenAid’s Artisan Mixer collection offers almost any colour you can dream of. (Of all of the shops that sell them, online or otherwise, I find Target has the best price.)
5. Modern Love Cake Topper: Love is right! I’m in utter love with this entire dessert topper collection–a collaboration between the fabulous Sweet & Saucy Shop and the talented Little Cat Design Co. Choose between wood or any of the gorgeous acrylic colour options, for a completely custom topper. (I’ll take one in every shade, please.) These are so lovely!
6. Handmade “Cake” Sign: Over the past many months, I’ve been collecting cakey props for my book photos, and I think this might be my favourite of all (and I mean ALL, #runningoutofspace #andmoney). You can order it in one of many colour choices, and either use it as a dessert table decoration, hang it on your wall or . . . tuck it into bed with you at night. No matter what you do with it, it’s so cute. I got the turquoise one here, but I also ordered a different one from here. You can find several versions of these on Etsy. (Supporting handmade just feels good, and those folks on Etsy make such great stuff!)
7. Patisserie Print: Why not give the gift of dessert-themed art? Etsy boasts many talented artists, so options are a plenty, but my heart belongs to A Fanciful Twist. Vanessa Valencia brings her sense of whimsy and magic to every piece she does (and she clearly has a thing for sweets). This print, “At the Patisserie” hangs in my bedroom, and it is still my favourite.
♥ ♥ ♥
8. Baking Books: For some reason, the more baking books we get, there’s always room for another–especially when it’s as charming and delightful as Jessie Oleson Moore’s latest book, The Secret Lives of Baked Goods. Sure, the web is a bountiful land of online recipes and such, but there’s nothing like holding a beautiful baking book in your hands, turning the crisp pages, taking it all in and feeling instantly inspired. I’m convinced pretty baking books will always be a best-loved gift for a baking enthusiast. Always.
9. Cakey Soaps: Lusciously scented and beyond adorable, dessert-themed soaps make for a wonderful bakers’ holiday gift idea, stocking stuffer or hostess gift. I found these little cuties on Etsy (yep, Etsy rocks), and they are irresistible.
10. Jadeite Cake Pedestal: What is it with us bakers and vintagey cake stuff? Jadeite is so charming and nostalgic that it makes for the perfect little cake stand. Mosser Glass is known for their gorgeously crafted pedestals, and I’m rather addicted to them. Although they come in pink, blue, white, yellow and more, the Jadeite Cake Stand is a must-have. So darn sweet.
11. Merry Pinkmas Nail Polish: Need I say more? I love K.B. Shimmer polishes. So many sprinkles and sparkles! Pair that with cute-as-heck names and gorgeous shades, these make for a unique and rather awesome gift. My current obsession is the holiday pink shade: Merry Pinkmas.
12. Holiday Baker’s Twine: With so many amazing colour options of baker’s twine out there, it makes for a wonderful gift. What baker doesn’t love twirling and whirling colourful twine around cake boxes and such? It’s functional and beyond charming. It also makes for a perfect little add-on to any gift, or of course an ideal stocking stuffer. Right now I’m loving this white & minty green shade.
13. Baking Gift Tags: See that’s the thing with giving to bakers–they’re always giving too. There’s nothing better than a homemade batch of holiday treats packaged with a pretty little tag. These make for handy (and pretty-as-can-be) little gifts, so bakers can share their goodies in style all year long. I fell for these Baked With Love Tags. Give’em or use ’em yourself–either way they’re a must-have. (And they’d be perfect with the minty baker’s twine!)
14. Retro Magnetic Kitchen Timer: Every baker needs a timer (or plenty), and this one is everything a timer should be: useful, pretty and magnetic. I have this in Retro Kitchen Timer, but it also come in an array of colours. This would make for a handy and handsome hostess gift, stocking stuffer or more.
So wait! Before you run off to holiday shop, here’s what one lucky reader is going to receive:
- 1 pink polka dotted Marilyn Strawberry Shortcake Apron
- 1 handmade Caustic Threads Mixer Tee, of your choice
- 1 set of 2 Frosted Donut Ornaments
- 1 Pistachio Green 5QT KitchenAid Artisan Mixer, or colour of your choice
- 1 Modern Love Cake Topper (courtesy of Sweet & Saucy Supply Shop)
- 1 wooden Cake Sign, colour of your choice (based on their options)
- 1 A Fanciful Twist At the Patisserie print
- 1 copy of The Secret Lives of Baked Goods
- 2 Cupcake Soaps
- 1 6-inch round Mosser Jadeite Cake Stand
- 1 bottle of Merry Pinkmas nail polish
- 20 yards (two 10-yard rolls) Baker’s Twine
- 2 sets of Baked With Love Tags (12 pink, 12 green)
- 1 Fox Run Retro Magnetic Timer, green
*All prizes with the exception of the Modern Love Topper are courtesy Sweetapolita. Modern Love Topper courtesy Sweet & Saucy.
To enter this giveaway, simply answer the following question in the comments section of this post:
What is your favourite holiday treat? I’d love to know!
- For an extra entry, come over to Facebook and “like” Sweetapolita, and then come back here and leave a comment telling me you did so. That comment will count as your extra entry. If you already like Sweetapolita on Facebook, just come back and leave a comment telling me that. *Comments on Facebook itself aren’t entries (although I love your FB comments!). Your comment has to be here in the comments section, as that is where the random winner is chosen.
- For an additional entry share the Sweetapolita Facebook Giveaway post on your own Facebook page, and then come back here and leave a comment telling me you did so. That comment will count as your extra entry.
- For an additional entry, share this post on Twitter and include @sweetapolita, and then come back here and leave a comment telling me you did so. That comment will count as your extra entry.
- One entry per person, plus additional qualified bonus entries (mentioned above). Your comment may take a few moments to appear.
- Winners will be announced Thursday, December 12th, 2013.
Best of luck & happy gifting!
Good luck & enjoy!