Love Letter & Scripted Heart Cookies

Love Letter Cookies via Sweetapolita

Happy love-month, everyone! I’ve been having so much fun exploring different love-themed treats, now that the Valentine’s spirit is upon us. I have a seemingly endless list of lovey sweets in my blog-ideas notebook, so I hope to somehow make it through several more before Valentine’s Day. I feel, though, that so many of these designs would also make for gorgeous wedding, bridal shower, or anniversary confections, because where there is love, oh please, let there be cookies!

Love Letter Cookies via Sweetapolita

While browsing a recent issue of Martha Stewart Living, I was beyond inspired (as usual). This time, though, things were really clicking. Every time I turned the page, I felt creative nudge upon creative nudge, resulting in some quick scribbles and sketches in my pink Moleskine notebook (I should be buying the notebooks by the dozen these days!). One of the most inspiring images, to me, was a gorgeous set of pastel letters with wine-coloured seals, created by a fabulous paper company called OrangeArt. Seeing as I don’t think in paper, but in sugar, I immediately started to design this collection of love letter cookies.

Scripted Heart Cookies via Sweetapolita

As a hopeless romantic, love letters get me every time. Lucky for me, Grant is an exceptional writer, and sure knows how to speak from the heart. I still have some of his first love letters to me, and I will admit that the written word affects me more than anything else (particularly his, of course!). It seems we’re all enchanted by the love letters–no matter whose they are, really. I noticed this after Grant and I watched our third Nicholas Sparks (clearly a deep and sensitive author who has a real adoration for love letters) movie last weekend–all of which have a cameo appearance (or more) by a big stack of gorgeously tattered and heartfelt letters. The Notebook, of course, which is centered around the tragic pile of letters intercepted and hidden by the mother of a girl in a star-crossed love affair; Dear John, which also focuses on the written word of love between a young couple parted by war; and finally, our most recent watch, The Last Song–another story of love, but with a heap of unread letters from a father to his daughter. It all reminds me how inspirational and beautiful words really are; even the simple aesthetic of script, to me, is so lovely and artful.

Single Heart Cookie via Sweetapolita

I suppose that’s why I was so taken with the script rubber stamp I found the other day. The effect when impressed upon the fondant is simple, but I think it’s so pretty, textural, and perfectly antiquated.

Love Letter Cookies via Sweetapolita

So here we have a happy little family of scripted love cookies. You know, speaking of family and love letters, I wanted to share a really neat book/idea with you. Shortly after our first daughter, Reese, was born, Grant’s mom bought me a beautiful book called “Love, Mommy: Writing Love Letters To Your Baby.” The author, Judy Siblin-Librach, encourages and inspires the reader to do just that: to write heartfelt love letters to your baby. This gives them something amazing to cherish when they’re older, and they can learn all about specific, day-to-day reasons why you love them so. So, every night, for an entire year, I wrote Reese a love letter in a journal. I’ve put it away so that I can wrap it up and give it to her either on her wedding day, or when the time is right. I’ve also started this for Neve, and I’m so thrilled that Mary Lou (my mother-in-law) gave me this fabulous book. I can’t wait to sit down with the girls, years from now, and read each of their love letters again.

Love Letter Cookies via Sweetapolita

Once I started creating these cookies, I began imagining endless possibilities–there may even be a part two to this post, if I can’t resist the urge to create the next part of my vision! I hope you run with this theme. If you’d like to re-create what I’ve done above, here is the how-to:

Love Letters:

1. Using large rectangular cookie cutter (these are 4.5″ x 3″), cut out/bake/cool desired number of “letters.”

2. Colour fondant (I use Satin Ice brand) desired colours. I used ivory fondant and added the following colours (in tiny amounts):

Pink: Sugarflair “Pink” and a small amount of grey petal dust

Mauve: AmeriColor “Mauve” and a small amount of grey petal dust (I originally used a drop of Electric Purple, but Mauve is already muted, so it’s a better choice)

Ice Teal: AmeriColor “Teal” and a small amount of grey petal dust

Burgundy (for the seal): Sugarflair “Red” and AmeriColor “Electric Purple” and bit of AmeriColor “Super Black”

3. Roll out your fondant to about 1/8″ thickness, one cookie at a time, keeping the remaining fondant covered, and cut rectangle using same cookie cutter you used for cookie. When rolling fondant for cookies, I like to sprinkle icing sugar on counter surface before rolling, and then let the cut-out sit for a moment or two before lifting up with an artist’s palette knife. This way the fondant doesn’t get stretched in any way.

4. Spread a very, very thin layer of royal icing onto the inner surface of the cookie with an offset palette knife, and gently place your fondant cut-out on top, gently smoothing with your fingers.

5. Cut a top flap (any style you like–I used real envelopes for reference) and adhere to your “envelope” with a dab of water. Using a knife, create two angled envelope lines.

6. For scripted detail piece: roll out ivory fondant, then press the rubber stamp firmly down upon the fondant and lift straight up. Using a knife, cut a rectangular piece, let dry for about 15 minutes, and adhere to envelope with royal icing.

7. Using a #2 tip, pipe string onto envelope.

8. Roll a small ball of burgundy fondant, and emboss with wax seal, then place in centre of cookie.

Let cookies dry for several hours, preferably overnight, before packaging.

Scripted Heart Cookies:

These are so simple!

1. Cut out/bake/cool any heart shapes you desire.

2. Roll pastel coloured fondant as with letter cookies, and impress script using rubber stamp. Using same cutters as used for making cookies, cut scripted fondant hearts.

3. Adhere to corresponding cookie using very thin layer of royal icing and an offset palette knife.

I can see these making for fabulous event favours, gifts for loved ones & friends, dessert table details, and more.

Comments

These are precious, they are too pretty to even touch! I am sure I would devour them all though. =) You are so much fun to follow. Thanks, Andrea~ Dolcedrive.com

What a sweet idea to write love letters to your children, that is a gift they will always cherish. I also think it’s so romantic that your husband wrote you love letters. And of course your work is perfection as usual. The little burgundy seals are one of my favorite parts, just like an old love letter!

3. Joanne says

Absolutely love the envelopes!

Where did you get the script rubber stamp from? I have been looking for one for months now! I want it to use on a cake!

Beautiful as always!

I love that you were inspired, not by a Martha RECIPE but by a Martha craft.

These cookies are adorable. There is definitely something so utterly romantic about the written word…maybe it’s that it’s not really used enough any more. So when it is, it speaks volumes.

5. Melissa says

These are gorgeous, and so creative! I never buy my fondant because I find they always taste really chemical… I make my own using a recipe one of my fellow students brought in one day to college, using MINI marshmallows, confectioner’s sugar, a tiny bit of water, and the microwave. It tastes great and if you make it ahead you don’t have to knead the crap out of it to get started, just throw the ball back in the microwave for a few seconds, and knead it just a little!

If ever anyone decides they want the recipe, I’ll gladly share, just email me at melipixie@gmail.com

Thanks for another great idea, lady! We love you!

Hi Melissa! Your fondant recipe sounds really yummy! I personally became partial to Satin Ice fondant when a few of my favourite cake designers introduced me to it. I find it’s as delicious as it is a dream to work with (especially with big wedding cake projects!). I bet, though, your marshmallow version would be really yummy on the sugar cookies! Thanks so much for the sweet words about my cookies, and also for offering to share your recipe with my readers! xo

Once again, brilliant work. And the same underlying themes pop up: unique sources of inspiration turned into sugar art, and amazing attention to detail (those fondant wax seals!). Those truly set you apart and make you an amazing artist whose medium happens to be edible.

Lovely! I just stumbled on your blog through sodapop-design. Only in cyberspace are connections made through Europe back to Canada! Just wanted to say hi, nice to see such a pretty site (making me hungry)in Canada. I also have two little ones – girl, born in 2007 and boy born in 2009. We are in Ottawa and I blog on anything that catches my fancy. I’ve always been intrigued to open my own store, but have been grabbed by the corporate world and have not have the guts to step out of it.

I just found your blog two days ago. I feel so lucky. Everything you make is soooooo beautiful! I’m swooning! And I love that you’re such a Swiss Meringue buttercream devotee like I am! :)

Rosie, nothing you do is short of just utter gorgeous-ness! Wow, not only are these so beautiful, I love the idea behind them. What a great family tradition to write to your daughters!

10. Liz Forshaw says

Hi Rosie! As usual, I am running a bit late this morning, after first checking to see if you’ve posted! It’s worth it, of course!!

i just got teary eyed thinking of reese opening that letter on her wedding day… i am very sentimental and so close to my family too so that really hit home… !

um, closet “the notebook” fan right here… (the film version… ryan gosling!!) ^__^

your love letter cookies are beyond lovely, rosie!! love the pale palette… and such sweet inspiration!

xo lyndsay

If I want to be super impressed, all I have to do is drop by your blog. I wondered if you used a rubber stamp when I saw the script and yes, you did! These are very cool!

I just stumbled on your blog this afternoon, and I love this idea! I’m also a sucker for the written word, as well. My mom wrote us letters when we were growing up, too, and I keep my favorite folded up in my locket. :)

Rosie, these cookies look absolutely amazing!
    Do you know that when I first saw them in flickr, I thought that the envelopes are real? Now when I’m reading the post, I realize that the are all edible..
    Oh my.. I will definitely try this recipe.
    Thanks for sharing

Irina

these are brilliant, creative, and oh-so inspiring. i love your detailed instructions and the colors of the cookies and envelopes are pure perfection!!! thanks so much!

Hi Rosie, I don’t even know how I found your blog- so happy that I did! You are so talented, and I want to wish you all the best with your business
    regards, your latest happy follower!
    Tania

17. Jennifer says

Rosie, you are such an inspiration!! I find myself looking for more & more pics of your creative designs!! If you don’t have a book out yet, you should!!

18. Maddie says

Hi!
    You are my favorite blogger! Your ideas are inspirational and I hope to someday be half the baker you are! I must ask: can I feature this on my blog? It’s too adorable to pass up with Valentine’s Day around the corner. What sugar cookie recipe do you recommend for this project?

Thanks! And please keep these ideas coming! They are just so creative!!!!

19. Guadalupe says

Absolutely LOVELY!
    You say you get the script rubber stamp from Michael’s in Ontario… could you tell me which brand/lebel?
    I’m living in Germany and I hope I can find this rubber stamp here!
    Thanks in advance for your help,
    Guadalupe