My Heart Belongs To U: Neapolitan Milk & Chocolate Sugar Cookies

Neapolitan Cookies via Sweetapolita

I hope you are having a great Saturday! So far, I’ve had a great day. I was able to drive into the city (Toronto) this morning (all alone!) for a much-needed trip to the hair salon, a leisurely shop at the most fabulous gourmet grocer, Pusateri’s, and, naturally, a quick stop to Starbucks for my drive home. I hope you’re also having a fabulous weekend, and that you’re able to fill it full of love-y treats and projects.

If you read my last post, you’ll remember that I just can’t get enough of the Valentine’s Day treats this year (and just love-inspired sweets all-around). I really wanted to get one more love-themed treat in before the weekend was over, so although this will be a short & sweet post, I’m so happy I was able to share these cookies with you. You know what else I can’t get enough of? Neapolitan! Strawberry, Chocolate & Vanilla–is there anything better? It makes me so happy with its fun colours and flavours combined; it really is the perfect trio.

Here’s the photo that was a big part of the inspiration for this Neapolitan Milk & Chocolate Sugar Cookie collection, from the Real Simple website. Don’t you just love these little milk bottles? I also love the little plate the bottles are on, because I have & adore the silk pillow and pencil case from this amazing collection from thomaspaul. Adorable. I also used my own Neapolitan 5-Layer Birthday Cake as inspiration, because I thought it really needed some matching cookies!

Neapolitan Cookies via Sweetapolita

These really are fun to make–they’re kind of like little fondant puzzles, and I would say that in the grand scheme of confection design, they’re pretty quick and easy! As you’ve probably noticed, I love using fondant for cookie decorating. I personally love the sweet vanilla taste of Satin Ice brand fondant, the beautiful texture, and lovely porcelain finish it creates for my cookies. Since I love not just the visual appeal of Neapolitan, but also the flavours, I couldn’t resist using the corresponding flavours for each cookie. I used a dark chocolate fondant for the chocolate bar and chocolate milk bottles; I flavoured the “strawberry” milk bottle/hearts fondant with LorAnn’s strawberry flavour oil (I haven’t done this before, and it is SO yummy!); and, of course, I used the vanilla fondant for the vanilla milk bottles/hearts.

Neapolitan Cookies via Sweetapolita

If you would like to make these cookies, here is the how-to:

Neapolitan Milk & Chocolate Sugar Cookies

Milk Bottles:

1. Cut out/bake/cool milk bottle sugar cookies  (or the cookies of your choice).

2. Dye white fondant strawberry pink (I used AmeriColor “electric pink”) and add a few drops (to taste) of LorAnn Strawberry Oil.

3. Roll pink, white, and chocolate fondant about 1/8″ thick, cut out milk bottle shape using cookie cutter, and cut out heart/hearts using small heart cutter.

4. Spread very thin layer of royal icing on cooled cookie and gently place fondant shape on cookie.

5. You will use the cut out chocolate bar heart to fill in your “puzzle” milk bottle heart (confused yet?).

Chocolate Bars:

1. Cut out/bake/cool rectangular sugar cookies (or the cookies of your choice).

2. Roll chocolate fondant (I use Satin Ice dark chocolate fondant and mix 50/50 with white fondant for milk chocolate colour) 1/8″ thick.

3. Using ruler edge, create a bar grid. Then, using same ruler, create diagonal lines across entire bar.

4. Cut out heart using same small heart cutter from bottles and place inside the missing heart in milk bottles.

5. Roll, cut, and insert a pink heart into the missing heart on chocolate bar.

6. Cut out an “I” and “U” using small letter fondant cutters and fill in with white fondant.

7. Spread a small amount of royal icing on cookie, and gently place the fondant on top.

This may sound confusing, but it’s so simple. Like I mentioned, it’s just like a fondant cookie love puzzle! Although they do make for ideal Valentine’s Cookies, I think they would also be gorgeous for wedding showers, weddings, birthday parties, and pretty much any celebration. Love seems to be the perfect theme for any party. Don’t you think?

I want to wish you all an amazing Valentine’s Day filled with love & cookies!

Good luck & enjoy!

Comments

So cute!! I just made some milk bottle cookies and blogged about them for Don’t Cry Over Spilled Milk Day. Do you actually have a milk bottle cookie cutter? If so where did you find it~ I drew a little template & then just cut each one out. Adorable blog as always~ you’re so creative!

These are some of the most creatively decorated cookies I’ve ever seen! I found your blog fairly recently, I forget where exactly, and I’m loving it!

You’re so talented. I bet you hear that all the time, but it’s okay. It’s worth saying again. I like that you shared your inspiration for the cookies. Lovely!

4. Regan says

Can you just come visit me out west and bring all your sweet treats with you!!! I love it all.. make it are you crazy.. IT WOULD NEVER turn out the way you do it!

These are so beautiful, but that’s no wonder after looking at your blog a few times. I love the picture of them in the pink box. And where, oh where, did you ever find brown and white baker’s twine?? Love it.

I just finished reading off ALL the archives on your blog, and I’m loving you even more! :) These cookies are really adorable! I haven’t worked with fondant before, because I find it intimidating. But I love this milk bottle cookie idea. And oh, your kids are the cutest! So precious. :)

oh my goodness. WHY did I just now discover this blog?! I am officially obsessed and completely won over by your gorgeous girls ( like their mama)…I can’t wait to devour your blog! xoxo

nuhasofiyan.blogspot.com

I’m so delighted that you stopped by to say ‘hi’ yesterday because now I get to stop by and see your lovely blog! What beautiful cookies! I could agree more about Neapolitan being the perfect trio of flavors and I just happen to fancy the colors just as much! I look forward to following your blog! Happy Belated Valentine’s Day! ♥

9. Pam says

Everything you share with us is so beautiful and so inspiring. Love it all!!!

Is it possible to freeze cookies covered in fondant?

Hi Pam! Thanks so much for the sweet words! As for freezing fondant-covered cookies, they do fine in the freezer, but I personally avoid it. They’re just not the same after freezing, in my opinion. I hop this helps!

• Pam says

Thanks so much for responding :)
        I will avoid freezing them, if there is a chance that it might diminish the quality I won’t risk disappointing a client… or creating more work for myself by having to redo everything lol

Thanks!!!

10. Erin says

Hi!
    I first want to say I LOVE your website. About 4 months ago I began teaching myself how to bake cakes and treats and all the techniques’ that go with it. I love it and I’m addicted! Your website/blog has been so helpful for me so thank you. Your work is beautiful and precise and I haven’t yet made one of your recipes but it looks like they have rave reviews as well. I want to make the candy bar cookies but can’t, for the life of me, find a larger rectangle cookie cutter. Your in Ontario and I’m in Austin, TX but you wouldn’t happen to know where I could find one, would you?
    Keep up the great work. You are an inspiration to me, as I’d like to be in your shoes in about a year or two and starting my own business.

11. Pam says

Hi Rose,
    Can you tell me where you got the little glass milk bottles? I need some for a Bridal Shower that I have coming up in May.

Pam

12. klaara says

Hi!

I adore your fancy cookies :) but im new about this cookies decorating. I wish to learn :) but i have some question too. If u use fondant and royal icing to decorate my cookies, how many days or weeks it will be good? and where should i store it to keep it good and fresh? sorry my english not so good..

thank u for advance :) hope to hear from u soon!

greetings, klaara from finland