Cake Batter & Sprinkle Bark

Cake Batter & Sprinkle Bark via Sweetapolita

I think I’ve found my sugar & sprinkles soul sister recently. I really do. The funny thing is, I had popped by Jessica’s blog from time to time when I would spot her yummy treats linked by friends on twitter, but I didn’t really get a chance to sit down and really take a good long look through her recipes until this past week. That’s when I came across the sprinkled masterpiece of epic proportion: her cake batter chocolate bark. Much like Jessica, I wasn’t what I’d really consider a “bark person” until this recipe came along, but what’s so fabulous about it, aside from the obvious delightfulness, is that it took me 5 minutes active time to make this (and about 5 to eat it–whoops). That’s the incredible thing about this, and about bark recipes in general: you take existing chocolate (of any kind, but the better the chocolate, the better it will be, since it’s really the only ingredient), melt it down, spread it out, add some bits & bites of yumminess, set it, break it and . . . ta-da!

Cake Batter & Sprinkle Bark via Sweetapolita

The possibilities are endless, which is why making your first batch of bark can be a wee bit dangerous. You may find yourself rummaging frantically through cupboards, pantries, and old handbags, looking for random candy bits, nuts, dried fruit, or pretty much anything tasty to create your next batch. It’s so fun, simple, quick, and rewarding, which is why I fear I’m hooked. If you don’t believe me, you can see what else Jessica has discovered, or what Naomi, Michelle, or Maria have to say about their experiences with bark. Go on, you’ll see.

Cake Batter & Sprinkle Bark via Sweetapolita

My kind of party.

Sprinkle Bark via Sweetapolita

Oh crumbs — it’s almost gone? How did that . . . who took my . . . where did the . . .

Who me?

I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. There’s something seriously therapeutic about tossing handfuls of sprinkles onto shiny, gorgeous, silky melted quality chocolate. There may be something even more therapeutic about snapping off a rainbow-coloured piece of that same chocolate and tasting rich chocolate and crunchy bits of sprinkles all at once. I’m not sure life gets any better than that.

Why not make a batch of this, wrap it in a fun crystal clear cello bag and tie it with some fun polka dot ribbon for birthday party favours?

I’m off to whip up a collection of birthday cakes for a special friend this weekend, but I’ll be back very soon with that vanilla cake post I mentioned on Wednesday and then next week I’ll be celebrating my very 1st blogiversary!

If you haven’t had the joy of browsing Jessica’s heartfelt, humorous, and incredibly delicious blog how sweet it is before, I definitely recommend it. You will likely come across several other cake batter recipes–this girl can concoct some seriously decadent creations. Come to think of it, she and I could create some serious mischief together. We should get on that.

Have a wonderful weekend, friends!

Cake Batter & Sprinkle Bark

• 6 ounces (180 grams) high quality dark or extra dark chocolate, chopped
  • 12 ounces (360 grams) high quality white chocolate, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon (15 g) white cake mix
  • sprinkles of choice (jimmies, non-pareils, Wilton gold edible star sprinkles, etc.)

Instructions

1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
  2. Chop chocolate. Melt dark chocolate either in the microwave or a double boiler. If using microwave, place chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe container (I use a Pyrex glass measuring cup), and heat for 20 second intervals, stirring each time with a silicone spatula. Be careful not to burn the chocolate--when there are just a few small bits left un-melted, you can simply continue to stir until it is completely smooth.
  3. Pour melted dark chocolate onto your parchment/mat and spread (with a small offset spatula for ease) until desired thickness is achieved. Freeze for 20 minutes to set.
  4. Melt your white chocolate. Whisk in cake mix slowly, stirring well until smooth. Let it sit for approximately 3 minutes (or at least until it slightly thickens).
  5. Remove pan with set chocolate from the freezer and pour white chocolate on top, repeating the same spreading technique as you did with the dark chocolate. Toss sprinkles on right away. Freeze for 20 more minutes.
  6. Once set, break or cut into pieces. Store in the refrigerator.
  7. Try not to beat yourself up when you repeatedly sneak and snack on pieces every time you open the refrigerator for something else.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

*slightly adapted from how sweet it is “cake batter chocolate bark”

Comments

I really like peppermint bark during the holiday season. Chocolate bark is just a great treat to have, and making a cake batter version is probably very dangerous to my waist line, oh well :P

2. jenn says

This sounds ah-mazing! I’ve gotta try it … Please explain white cake mix – as in dry (boxed or homemade) cake mix -or- as in ready-to-pour-in-a-pan-and-bake-a-cake white cake mix? ;) Thanks!!

• Vanessa says

Hi Rosie! :)

Just got home from my 2nd half marathon and checked my email to see this post! I REALLYYYY want to make it now but don’t actually HAVE boxed cake mix :/ Silly question but did you actually use boxed cake mix that you get from the supermarket or a homemade mix? If homemade, any chance you could share that as I think I deserve to try some of this after my run! Ok… maybe not, but hey, any reason will do :)

Sweet jesus, I think my thighs are going to start hating you soon. This looks pretty and delicious. What a neat idea. (I also know a bunch of people with upcoming birthdays, so I may be able to pawn some of this off on them.)

rosie! i gotta stop looking at your blog before i’ve eaten breakfast!! love the look of this bark – ! i have the same three tiered stand thingie as you! i love it. that bark would look crazy cute as shards coming out of a cake… ^__^

lovely as usual! xo

5. dixiedevil says

Perfect for a kids party, must do next party. Hmm… my mind is spinning, bark is easy and so many pairings will work, mmmm ginger snap and ginger chews with something???

So pretty. I’ve made peppermint bark in the past and while it makes great gifts, I never really liked peppermint that much. Vanilla sounds much better. Definitely will try this!

Hi! I always check up on your blog to see what you’ve made and was thinking, have you thought about making a “button” on your blog? So people can put the button on their blogs which links back to yours. I would stick it on my blog. Just a thought :)

I make peppermint bark almost every Christmas as gifts for friends; I tend to forget that it doesn’t have to be a seasonal treat. The sprinkles make this absolutely adorable…oh man, *love* those stars. ^_^

9. Mary says

Oh my word!!! This looks amazing! It immediately made made me think of the cake batter ice cream I had in Aus. in the summer. Must try! Xo

You have inspired me to go bark crazy! Amazing. Would it totally be obnoxious of me to ask about your dessert stand? Where are your favorite places to get them (and this one)? I need to start my collection!

11. Kelsey says

I have seen this before and came across it on your blog again and I am definitely going to make it this weekend! I was wondering though if you could substitute the dark chocolate for regular milk chocolate? I am not a huge fan of dark chocolate and was wondering if milk chocolate would be to sweet. Just wanted to get your take on it! Thanks and keep up the awesome blog!

12. Claire Marie says

I’ve been needing a treat to give to my new co-workers, as a “thank you” token, and I think this is it! Question though, it looks like a cooking supply store here has Callebaut chocolate, but its in bar form (60% and 51%). Is this acceptable, or must it be the disks? Thank you, in advance, for entertaining my novice question! :)

Hi Claire Marie! You know what, that’s what’s so great about making bark–you can pretty much melt any quality chocolate down and it will taste amazing combined with other chocolate and sprinkles, etc. You can even buy Lindt chocolate bars, the Callebaut bar, for certain, or any quality chocolate on sale. You can’t go wrong with European quality chocolate of any kind. The key is keeping the finished treat in the fridge to keep that “snap.” One reader even added the sprinkles in betwee the white and dark chocolate and then again on top, for that extra crunch. I hope that helps, and thanks so much for your sweet comments!

13. rebecca onkar says

Hi, I tried this today and it was fun- but my dark and white chocolate did not stick together, they separated when I cut it. What happened? :(

Hi Rebecca,
      That did happen to me on a different batch when I tried to cut the first few pieces right out of the freezer, but I waited a few minutes and the chocolate softened a wee bit, and that helped. For some reason it only happened on one batch, so it could be that it was in the freezer too long? Just a thought! I hope this helps!

This is cute…and I’m sure we would devour it quickly too. My daughter and I have missed getting together for her birthday…this would be a great treat that she could take to work and share. And with just enough ‘kid’ in it to make it work for me to do it for her. :)

15. Rhonda Camp says

This sounds really good. I love the taste of cake batter. Do the 3 teaspoons of cake mix, actually give you that wonderful flavor?

Ladies, I did taste the cake batter, but you can definitely play around until you find the amount you like. You just want to keep that white chocolate smooth as can be, so adding too much of the cake batter could throw off that amazing texture and taste of high quality white chocolate. Good luck!

16. Victoria says

I read this and couldn’t stop thinking about it, so yesterday I made some, but added a little food coloring and “spooky” sprinkles so that it was Halloween themed and it tastes great. I think that I didn’t wait long enough though because the dark chocolate started melting when I put the white chocolate on and they swirled together. Oh well, it gave it a cool effect.

17. Natalie says

You are genius! This is an amazing recipe!!!! I used milk/semisweet chocolate instead of dark for the base layer, and it still turned out perfect! I’d like to try dome different vareities… maybe a spice cake mix and white chocolate base?

This looks so yummy and PERFECT for my daughter’s first birthday party next month! Can I make it in advance and freeze it until the party??

Oh this looks amazing! It is just too cute with all those colorful sprinkles and I bet it does taste amazing too. Thanks for the recipe!

20. Kristi C. says

I am excited to try this recipe and was wondering what size baking sheet I need to use and if I need to spray the parchment paper? Thanks again!!

Hi Kristi!
      No need to spray the parchment as the chocolate will pop right off. I used a standard baker’s half sheet 13″ x 18″, which is really just to keep everything in place, so as long as it’s approximately that size you should be okay. Good luck!

I absolutely love this simple recipe–even my friend who is very much a beginner cook/baker loved it and made it for her family at Christmas! Your picture of the empty trays is hilarious, and exactly the same thing happened at my house. I hope you don’t mind but I posted this recipe on my blog too, crediting you as well as How Sweet It Is. Thanks for the kitchen inspiration!

22. Tammie says

I just made this for the 1st time and it tastes lovely. The only issue i had was the 2 chocolates separated when i cut them. Why would that be? The white choc came away totally from the brown.

• Rachel says

Was there a layer of condensation (water droplets) on the dark chocolate? Try patting the dark chocolate down with a paper towel first, because if there is condensation on the top of it, it will make the white chocolate “seize” or repel away from the dark. Good luck! Chocolate is a tricky mister!

23. azie says

i made this last night based on your recipe (which by the way i pinned and it was repinned over TWO THOUSAND times! they love you!) and it is such a hit with my kidlets! :) my 4yo told me it’s the best thing he’s ever had. thanks for the creative (and easily themed) idea – esp great to use up holiday chocolates…

24. Joanna says

been stalking your blog-must say, I have loved every recipe!
    I tried making this recipe today and I found that when I poured the white chocolate/cake mix on top of the frozen dark chocolate, it melted the dark chocolate and I got a marble-y light brownish top layer. Still tastes delish though, but how do I prevent that in the future?

• Rachel says

Joanna,

Let your dark chocolate come up to room temperature, and take the white chocolate off the stove for a minute or two (but not long enough for it to set), if it is piping hot, it will melt faster. I hope this works for you!

-Rachel

25. Sarah says

I made these today! They were great, but the only thing I’m going to do different is next time I’m gona use more normal chocolate and less white chocolate! ^_____^

I just made this but tought it said 3 tablespoons in stead of 3 teaspoons so I’ll have to wait if it works out. It did get a little lumpy so..

27. Clair says

Love this, we usually only have pink sprinkles in the house so first attempt was princess sprinkle bark, yummy. Today we have made diamond jubilee bark for our street party – part of me doesn’t want to share it! Thanks

28. clara says

Hi Rosie! That’s absolutely lovely!!! (Just as everything you do)

But if I may ask… Will it make any difference if i just skip the cake mix bit? Is it just for the flavor?

Thanks : )

This has to be the most perfect idea for a party treat. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe with us. Planning on making this for my daughter’s 5th birthday. Great advice, everyone. Thanks!
    Janine Start To Grow

Seriously loving this recipe. I love bark but haven’t made it for any parties or as favors because I didn’t think it would be a crowd-pleaser… until I saw this recipe. People love themselves some sprinkles. One question – do you have any suggestions for making this gluten-free? I presume I could just omit the cake mix, but do you have another suggestion or have you tried it without? Thanks!

• Ali says

What about a gluten free cake mix? I’ve heard the one’s from King Arthur’s Flour are good. (But I haven’t tried them.)

31. Ali says

Update: I tried it and it is cooling, but so far absolutely delicious!
    I used 4 squares of bakers white chocolate and 3 tbs. of yellow cake mix. I also added a splash of water to thin it out a bit, as it doesn’t need to harden up as much as the bark. Then I drizzled it over popcorn, tossed, sprinkled a jar of jimmies, tossed again and it is currently cooling. I can’t wait to try the bark!

32. Rachel says

This recipe looks amazing! I have been looking for a birthday themed dessert that I can take on a flight because my husband and I are traveling with a friend to hike Mt. Fuji in Tokyo, and it will be our friend’s birthday, so I had wanted to celebrate at the top. I think this is going to be just the treat to take with me, thank you so much!

33. Lily says

Hello, sounds delicious! I’d like to make these for a friends party but all the party goers are real dark chocolate haters (I don’t know what their problems are) so could I use milk chocolate instead? Thanks!

34. Jodi says

We are going to try and make it look like a melted snowman by sprinkling in a shimmering silver sprinkle, candy eyeballs, pretzel stick arms, there is an orange triangle sprinkle for the nose, and not sure about the hat yet- maybe a molded tootsie roll. I run a home childcare and each child will make one to take home. Thanks for the great idea!

Trackbacks